720p or 1080i for gaming?

Mattu

Ok, if you had to choose between the two, 720p or 1080i, which do you think would be the better choice for gaming? (Xbox 360 w/ HDMI cable)

I obliviously know 1080p is the best, but my TV does not handle it.

Thanks.

CrayonMuncher

1080i, it is a higher resolution so you will get a clearer image than with 720p

not always, i did extensive research into this as my tv only supports up to 1080i and i wanted my ps3 to look as good as poss.

1080i has a higher res but the picture is interlaced so the refresh rate up to 30hz 720p has 60hz, at leaset on mine, i find on 1080i that things arent as clearly defined and fast moving objects are not as clear as 720p, which means that 720p is better despite the fact that 1080i has more pixels.

A big factor in this your screen size, mine is 26 inch which means that it is quite hard to see any noticable difference between a 720p set and a 1080p whilst gaming on my ps3 or wathcing hd tv.

Basically after much research using my pc and my ps3 and swithing resoultions i decided 720p was best, higher refresh rate and I found that objects were sharper and lines on menus were more defined, 1080i made things blurry just enough for me to notice whem gaming.

Putting 1080i on my tv through my comupter looks crap.

Last edited:

Hsv_Man

Good luck gaming in 1080p the only game i can play at 1080p on my PS3 is gran turismo 5 as all the other games only support 720p.

Del_Monico

The only time you really need 1080p is if you have a jumbotron... 720p will look just as good on any screen up to about 52in. Sometimes bigger depending on the TV.

Demilich

Much research has been done on 720p vs. 1080i..to the human eye, there is no difference. 1080p is a bit of a different story.

You know how you're sitting at home, and you're watching your local news, favorite TV station, or program? 90% of the time, it is in 720p. 1080i requires quite a bit more of bandwidth, for not that much of an increase in quality. 1080i is often just a sales pitch, as it isn't used very often, I've noticed. It's usually either 720p for television, and 1080p HDMI for wired products, i.e., Xbox, PS3, computer, etc. At least, that's the way it goes in my house.

Last edited:

linkin

VIP Member
What's more of a sales pitch is that "Sub-Pixel Drive 600Hz" crap. No such technology exists. Contrast ratios are a load of baloney as well. LED screens too, because of the way they advertise them.

It is an LCD screen with an LED backlight. Has two benefits:

Doesn't need to warm up like a CCFL
Consumes less power

/mini-rant

I'd take 720p, because despite the resolution, the p means progressive. Meaning it refreshes the whole screen at the same time, 60 times per second (60hz)

1080i, the i is for interlaced. meaning it can't refresh the entire screen at once, at that resolution, so it refreshes the screen at 30hz.

720p looks fine for general TV anyway, it looked fine on my grandfathers 42" panasonic viera (I helped him choose it, scared the greasy sales persons away!)

This is a good read:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/display_myths_shattered

Mattu

supports with upscaling (As i know)

On the back of the box on most of my Xbox 360 games, it clearly says "HDTV 720p/1080i/1080p" so I'm assuming it would mean a true 1080p. :confused:

If anything, it's better than 480i crap, which most of my friends use the standard composite cable that comes with the system. :eek:

What's more of a sales pitch is that "Sub-Pixel Drive 600Hz" crap. No such technology exists. Contrast ratios are a load of baloney as well. LED screens too, because of the way they advertise them.

Consumes less power

/mini-rant

I though it would be one LED for each pixel or set of pixels, which in turn would render a better contrast ratio because each individual LED could shut off, thus making deeper blacks than just one CCFL light that stays lit constantly.

CrayonMuncher

most xbox 360 games arent rendered in 1080p there are upscaled to 1080p, meaning that in most cases it is not true HD, but that is because of the game not the console, the console supports upto 1080p.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
360 does support 1080p......

Yeah, but I guess what I meant is that most games don't run at 1080p on the 360.

Contrast ratios are a load of baloney as well. LED screens too, because of the way they advertise them.

Consumes less power

The contrast ratio advertised is usually dynamic contrast ratio. And as for LED backlit screens they're very nice. They're a lot thinner than tradational CFL lit displays (great for laptops) and also doesn't become dimmer after years of use.

Last edited: