7850 + My system = ?

BolleN

Hi! I'm planning on buying the AMD Radeon HD 7850 2gb. It says on AMD's site that they recommend a 500W or greater power supply. I have a 460W power supply. Will it work?

In case you need my other specs here they are:

Processor: Intel Core i7-3770k @3.5ghz Quadcore.
Motherboard: Gigabyte H16MA-D2V
RAM: 8 gigs

spirit

Staff member
Likely, 7850 + Your PSU = BOOOMMMM!! :p

Chances are you have a low quality PSU in there now, I'd replace it and get a Corsair CX 600 anyway regardless of whether of it's a quality PSU or not. The CX 600 will power a 7850 just fine and it's a quality part.

BolleN

Likely, 7850 + Your PSU = BOOOMMMM!! :p

Chances are you have a low quality PSU in there now, I'd replace it and get a Corsair CX 600 anyway regardless of whether of it's a quality PSU or not. The CX 600 will power a 7850 just fine and it's a quality part.

What will happen to my PC if I buy a CX 600? Will it get faster? I'm kind of a noob :p

spirit

Staff member
No it will be more reliable and less likely to go bang when you least expect it to.

Ankur

Since you have a high end system, I'll suggest a Z77 motherboard too for better flexibility.

Darren

Staff member
Since you have a high end system, I'll suggest a Z77 motherboard too for better flexibility.

Not sure that's needed.

All your Power Supply (PSU) does is convert the power out of your wall into a different kind of electricty that your computer can use. Higher wattage PSU's can push through more wattage and power and will be more stable on power hungry parts such as the 7850. I've got a 7850 and CX600 and it works just fine.

BolleN

Not sure that's needed.

All your Power Supply (PSU) does is convert the power out of your wall into a different kind of electricty that your computer can use. Higher wattage PSU's can push through more wattage and power and will be more stable on power hungry parts such as the 7850. I've got a 7850 and CX600 and it works just fine.
Do you think I could get the GPU first and later down the road get a better PSU?

spirit

Staff member
No I'd honestly get both at the same time. You do not want to risk anything, and the PSU is arguably the most important part of the PC. You need good, clean, stable power.