7900gt, 7900gtx or 7950gx2?

Nak Nak

I can afford any of them, however, which is the best value? If I were to get a 7900gt I would be able to get a decent soundcard and some speakers and still be within budget. I understand that the 7900gtx has become somewhat of a red herring due to the advent of the cheaper 7950gt.

I'm certain someone will recommend a x1900xt (is that right?) so I also ask what mobos it will run on.

edit: This is for a prospective new computer, not the one in my sig!

ckfordy

banned
I would go with the 7900GT it will run most games on max settings very well so save your money and get the 7900GT and then you will be able to buy other stuff as well.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I'm quite happy with my 7600GT, so I'm sure a 7900GT would be plenty. Or that x1900 as mentioned. I don't know about about the specs of it right off, but I do hear it's more powerful than the 7900's

thealmightyone

There's a 7950GT out now, I think. It's basically a 7900GT, but with an extra 256MB of memory, a higher core clock, and a higher memory clock. The cheapest one is $300 on newegg, $40 more than the cheapest 7900GT.

Remember, just because you can afford it, doesnt mean you should buy it. You spend all your money now, you won't be able to buy anything tomorrow (and who knows what's going to happen tomorrow).

Iluvpenguins

The X1900XT and XTX are better,they can run with HDR and FSAA on at the same time while the 7900GT cant>i'd go for the Ati cards.And they will work on any mobo with a PCI-E slot,dont get an SLI mobo for the ati cards though.

Nak Nak

I don't really care about SLI. The x1900xt seems like it'll be more than enough to last this year/next year. Would the performance be fine?
Also, to the guy who mentioned the 7950gt - it isn't out here (scotland) yet and I'm not sure when it will be released.

Last edited: