7zip taking over?

CardboardSword

After recently installing 7zip, it appears to want to associate itself with anything remotely close to a .rar file. Normally this would be fine, but unfortunately, this includes self extracting archives, and since its 7-zip extracting them, they don't work like they should, versus just letting the installer run, and I can't figure out for the life of me how to get windows to go back to recognising it as a plain old .exe (or whatever it may be, a mediamonkey script say) This feels like a painfully easy fix, but I'm unfamiliar with Windows 7, so its more of an issue than it should be. Any help is much appreciated.

CardboardSword

Hate to self-bump, but no-one? I figured this would be something so simple as a right click option I've missed somewhere along the line. Any shots in the dark even?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You need to change program file associations. Google it as I can't tell you the exact procedure since I run XP. If you know where the folder options are and then go to file types and change it.

CardboardSword

The problem is that it isn't associating with anything it's not supposed to. Under default programs, .exe isn't listed as an extension (probably because you can't/shouldn't open .exes with anything other than the way windows handles them by default.) But when I download these files, the executable comes up as a .rar file, which no longer allows me to just plain run it, and i can't "open with" because there is no designated program (that I'm aware of) that actually runs them.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
1)

-Go to the 7-zip options located in the 7-zip File Manager
-Go to the "Tools" -> "Options"
-Under the "System" tab unselect everything!
-Click the "Apply" button
-Under the "Plugins" tab,on the left click on the "7-zip" and then click the button called "Options...".There turn off the options called "Integrate 7-Zip to shell context menu" and "Cascaded context menu"!Also under the "Context menu items:" unselect everything!
-Click the "Apply" and then the "OK" button...
-Now again click the "Apply" button (if its available) and then click the "OK" button
-Restart your computer...

2)

-Completely uninstall the 7-zip program
-Repair your operating system using its CD or DVD-ROM disk
-After the REPAIR process is complete,install the 7-zip program again
-Restart your computer...

Cheers!