802.11ac and n support both on 5 Ghz band at the same time?

Will 802.11ac routers allow for simultaneous broadcast of 802.111ac 5 Ghz, 802.11n 5 Ghz and 802.11n 2.4 Ghz? My phones support the ac standard, my TV and laptops supports the n standard but on 5 ghz. and my printer supports the n standard but only on 2.4 ghz. I would like to only have the printer on 2.4 ghz and have all the other n and ac devices on 5 ghz because 2.4 ghz is really slow. Is that possible?

I am looking at getting this router:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wire...ing=UTF8&refRID=HMJX291S3GB82ZMB8YV9&th=1#Ask

_Glitch

ac is backwards compatible with n. So your 802.11n device will be able to connect to a 802.11ac router

Intel_man

VIP Member
The AC Standard is backwards compatible to N, so AC and N devices can simultaneously connect to the router on the same frequency.

Speed wise, I'm not sure if they've changed it since the G and N days where the faster device gets dropped to the slower speed.

How to I chose to have a device connect at 5 Ghz on the n band vs 2.4? Does the ac router broadcast two SSIDs, one for 2.4 and one for 5?

_Glitch

Yes. It will broadcast 2 SSID's. You might have to enable it though. You do this by entering the gateway IP in your browser

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If your wireless device doesn't support dual band then it will only connect to the 2.4ghz band.