<>

oscaryu1

VIP Member
the automatic start maybe that you enabled it in the BIOS, but when i had that prob on my compy it was a bad PSU... restarts... is it overheating? are you overclocking? RAM?

oscaryu1

VIP Member
if you used that same disc to install XP then of course its valid. bad CD drive, or seomthing else may be it... and the "big drills ns tuff" could be the problem. try another PSU.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Sounds like mobo maybe shorting on the case or the battery

wow, no lets not assume that just yet.....Typically software is 95% of the time the problem, especially when it comes to windows.

argggh I put in the xp disc typed R and got into the repair and recovery and I have no idea what to do then I went to install xp again and it said its not a valid xp disc and I only bought it a month ago.

Okay, now I can guide you through recovery console but I want you to know that I am not responsible for whatever happens. You run these commands at your own risk.

1) Boot off your xp cd, and hit R to get into recovery console

2) Select your windows installation, and type in your admin password if you set an admin password.

3) Now enter each command as it is typed in:

Code:
attrib -h c:\boot.ini

attrib -r c:\boot.ini

attrib -s c:\boot.ini

del c:\boot.ini

What we did right here is make the boot.ini file no longer hidden, no longer read only, and no longer a system file so we can delete it, then we deleted it.

next...
Code:
bootcfg /rebuild

This rebuilds crucial files that are needed to boot and start windows. It will ask you if you want to add the installation and you say yes. Then add these two options. /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

next...
Code:
chkdsk /r

Thorough chkdsk scan, will scan the whole HD and rebuild any file system errors it finds

finally...
Code:
fixboot

This will write a whole new boot sector for all the stuff you just fixed, now type in exit and reboot your comptuer. This fixes a lot of problem with out having to reinstall windows, but of course I can't guarantee anything.

Last edited: