$85 budget to cool my 3770k. need help

kdfresh09

hello. im looking to get a cooler for my cpu. i have an i7 3770k. my friend has one one too, and he bought the h100, and when i put it together and got everything up and running, temps are fine, but when overclocked and using intel burn test, it gets in the mid 80c. maybe i need to change some things in the bios. its a sabertooth board. socket 1155. theres alot in there that im not too familiar with. if anyone has any tips for me then that would be great, as well as sugestions for water or air coolers. it will be running on a asus maximus v gene socket 1155. thanks

Last edited:

Virssagòn

VIP Member
You want to overclock right? It seems you want good cooling, but for 85$ you don't have a GOOD watercooler. For 85$ you got a GOOD aircooler!
I would say silver arrow extreme edition, but everything on newegg is out of stock from thermalright...
Noctua has also very good aircoolers: click here

This is also a good cooler, but also big... click here

kdfresh09

what about this one....its about $87 after rebates...i hear its pretty descent...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835209054...imnot really NOT wanting to get an air cooler, unless its worth the money to spens on a nice one. so i will pay more for a good water loop if i have too. as far as checking the thermal paste, i just used the stuff that was already preapplied from corsair when i attached the h100 to the chip. i took it off, and the paste was applied pretty evenly and it had good sucktion when i pulled it off. its seated on there well i believe. are there voltage settings that i should be aware of? right now im at 1.25v @ 4.4Ghz, and peaking out in intel burntest at 77c.

Last edited:

Perkomate

Something definitely sounds up with that chip. I know they run hot, but 80 degrees on a H100? That is not right.

kdfresh09

no, my friend is the one with the heat issue, using the h100. i was going to get it, but when i installed it for him i realized that it wont fit in my case. so i need to get some other cooling option, preferably water cooled. now, i agree that i thought his h100 was running hot. i dont know if this is much of an improvement, but at stock 3.5Ghz @ 1.15v, im getting about 30c idle, and under load it peaks out at 65c. now, to get 4.6Ghz, i have to pump the voltage to 1.35 or it wont pass tests. at these settings here, the h100 is getting about 40c idle, and 88c load. i still think its too high. can anyone seggest anything else

Last edited:

Perkomate

is that with the fan speed ramped up to full? What's the ventilation like of the case?

For air coolers, Noctua NH-D14.

kdfresh09

the case is a corsair c70 (black), with 5 of these....http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835494004
2 on top of the h100 sucking in air from the top, through the rad. 2 in fron sucking air in, and 1 rear, exhausting. all fans are turned all the way up.the case has great airflow. everything is staying nice and chilly, except the cpu.....i was thinking that it must be dong its job right, cause when i had the stock cooler on it, at stock voltages (1.15v). i overclocked it to 3.67, and the temps jumped to mid 80's...with the h100 on it, i can have 1.35v @ 4.6, and get the same mid 80's for temp. is ivy just a really hot chip? or am i missing something here still?