8800 GTS 640MB vs 9600 GT 512MB

Grey410

Which is better? I have both in hand and I have a choice to use either. Which should I go with? :D

maroon1

9600GT 512MB performs slightly better in gaming

And no 3dmark06 is just a synthetic benchmark. Having higher score in 3dmark doesn't always tell you which video card is better in gaming.

lovely?

9600GT 512MB performs slightly better in gaming

And no 3dmark06 is just a synthetic benchmark. Having higher score in 3dmark doesn't always tell you which video card is better in gaming.

3D mark is actually a great tool when comparing similar GPU's just like how it will show a difference if you overclock the same video card... the cores of the cards are similar so they will perform similarly. if one performs worse then the odds are that the other really is better.

just because it is synthetic does not mean it is wrong.

Okedokey

The GTS is a G90 and the 9600GT is a G94 so they are quite different. Basically, the GTS will have a larger memory bandwidth (better for higher resolutions), but the 9600GT will probably perform equally well at lower resolutions. The benefit of the 9600GT however is the PCIe 2.0 compliance, thus giving you increased performance in the future.

So essentially, assuming you have the PSU to cope, go with the 9600GT unless you have crazy big monitor...

BTW synthetic benchmarks are great for comparing synthetic benchmarks (LOL). At best, it may be worth changing the settings to the actual resolution you will be playing games at, and comparing the scores. Other than that, try the Crysis bench as well.

Last edited:

Grey410

mmmmm

The GTS is a G90 and the 9600GT is a G94 so they are quite different. Basically, the GTS will have a larger memory bandwidth (better for higher resolutions), but the 9600GT will probably perform equally well at lower resolutions. The benefit of the 9600GT however is the PCIe 2.0 compliance, thus giving you increased performance in the future.

So essentially, assuming you have the PSU to cope, go with the 9600GT unless you have crazy big monitor...

Yeah I'm running a 37" HD LCD at 1920x1080....:cool: www.ecost.com and search for Westinghouse 37". My roommate got one for $694 shipped and it works great (all 3 of us have the same monitor wall mounted with matching desks in our office).

Intel_man

VIP Member
I wouldn't be bothered to be choosing between the two. But I did hear that the 8800 GTS is still faster than the 9600 series.

Okedokey

The older GTS is about the same as the 9600GT. The 9600GT is in between the 8800GT 256mb and 512mb. I would go for the 8800GTS due to its higher memory bandwidth for that size monitor.

Cleric7x9

i like the 9600GT, makes less heat, and with better drivers in the future i think it will likely outperform the gts