8800GTS and 8800GTX running SLI

siuchi

I am wonering would it be fine to run 8800 GTS and 8800GTX together to run SLI?

I am thinking of getting a 8800GTS 320MB vision first, then when the price drop down after the 8900 and R600 lanch, then i buy a 8800GTX 768MB to running together as SLI.

anyone think this gonna be a good idea or just a waste of time and money? any suggestion?

Thx

Last edited:

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
It cannot be done, you can only run cards with the same GPUs together, so you can run two 8800GTS's, but not one GTS and one GTX.

MatrixEVO

It cannot be done, you can only run cards with the same GPUs together, so you can run two 8800GTS's, but not one GTS and one GTX.

They have the same GPU, which is the G80. You can run cards in SLI as long as they have the same GPU, even if they have different memory sizes and clocks.

I'm not 100% sure the GTS and GTX would work together, but even if they did, both cards would scale down to the worse of the two, which would be the GTS, so it would be like having two GTS cards. You should get 2 GTS cards instead of one GTS and one GTX.

Saurian

If there is any difference, it won't want to work. Even using two different BRANDS of the same GPU can cause problems.