8GB vs 16GB for Video Editing?

User0one

My experience with Video editing is the CPU makes the real difference.

I have 3 Video editing Rigs. Two have slower CPUs but more Ram.

One has Faster CPU and less Ram, but this Rig cuts the project times down by huge amount.

Ownaholic

Hmm...Now I'm considering getting the i7 and just trying to sell my i5.

But realistically, if I just OC my i5 with the HSF that I posted, I should gain relatively similar results.

Obviously, I can OC the i7 as well, but I feel like at this point, the difference in performance would only be like a 2 minute difference.

And I suppose in theory, the i7 is more future-proof, but is it really when considering the fact that no real application other than video editing and photoshop/3dmax will be able to utilize the hyper threading technology within the next 5 years; after which point I will probably be building a new computer anyway?

@Benny
That's a good point, I forgot about the memory dump on power loss. I'll just point the rendered video to there instead, and just move it immediately over.

*edit*
Just as a side-note, I'm OC'ed to 4.0ghz right now, and it is still taking me around 34 minutes to render. And that was after reducing the bit rate from 20 million to 10 million.

From someone who has an i7: What are your regular rendering speeds for a video that is about 13 minutes long, with Sony's mp4, 1080p, 1920x1080 resolution? I think this would really better-answer the question, because it would actually compare direct results rather than us rambling on about theory.

Last edited: