$900 gaming build

Eric4753

Yes that's why I would get an HDD. SSD doesn't affect game performance at all. It barely effects the speed of games loading(it's not that bad I use a HDD look at my specs), and file transferring ,but that's it. You could save about $50 and get a nice PSU too.

spirit

Staff member
I think your board choice is perfect actually. Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 is an awesome board. :good:

millz

Yes that's why I would get an HDD. SSD doesn't affect game performance at all. It barely effects the speed of games loading(it's not that bad I use a HDD look at my specs), and file transferring ,but that's it. You could save about $50 and get a nice PSU too.

I haven't don't an SSD build before, but from what I've read it's going to make the OS work a lot faster which will be a welcomed change I believe. Going to play around with the numbers later today and see how much everything works out to be. Might even make the purchase today, and assemble the build tomorrow! Will post pics when it's done :)

spirit

Staff member
If you can afford an SSD, go for it.

However if it means you have to spend less on other more important stuff like the graphics card, then hold off for the time being.

Benny Boy

Are you guys suggesting to get a new PSU if the one we're planning on using is older and not of reputable brand?
If you don't know the brand/model of the power supply, then you don't know if you need a new one. PS is more important than SSD. SSD is an easy upgrade. Blown power supply not that easy.

millz

Just assembled this computer today. Forgot to take pics...

Made a bad on the fly decision at the store. The 2100 mhz ram was just like $4 more and I ended up buying it without checking if it was compatible with the board I bought. Turns out the board only supports up to 1866 mhz ram, so I'll need to do that exchange.

I had a question with regards to the maximum amount of fans I can hook up to this motherboard. There is only a Sys fan 1 and a Sys fan 2, and then there is a PWR fan.

I wasn't able to get a really concrete answer on what exactly the power fan does?? Also... Is it possible for me to buy additional fans? I want to mount them on the top (I think it'll look pretty cool with some led's) but I only have 2 sys fan's on my mobo? Am I limited to just using 2??

PCunicorn

NO. Do not go through the trouble of exchanging. The RAM is fully compatible with the board as long as its ddr3. It will just downclock the ram to 1866 MHz. The system fans have 3 pins and in the bios you can only control both, not one. And the 4 pin PWR can be controlled seperatly.

Last edited: