STEELERGLENN

OK i went to my buddies work he was having issues with his windows xp so i was told to do a repair on it booted of the cd used the repair option but when i was done i cannot get back to the desk top or find his stuff i am scared and freaked out i did not do a fresh reinstall i repeat i did not do that yet. but he has all of his documents quicken etc. please help i am begging

2048Megabytes

I guess you learned rule number one when working on a computer:

ALWAYS PERFORM A BACKUP OF VITAL DATA BEFORE BEGINNING WORK ON A COMPUTER.

It's best to use an external hard drive or a flash drive to back up important data.

You could possibly take his hard drive out and plug it in as a secondary hard drive in another system and pull the important data off.

Danda

I guess you learned rule number one when working on a computer:

ALWAYS PERFORM A BACKUP OF VITAL DATA BEFORE BEGINNING WORK ON A COMPUTER.

It's best to use an external hard drive or a flash drive to back up important data.

You could possibly take his hard drive out and plug it in as a secondary hard drive in another system and pull the important data off.

This

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Try booting to a live CD of SLAX. It is able to read/write to NTFS so you should be able to go in and oull his data off there (if it's still there).

Hello everyone

Better yet if don't feel comfortable with linux, just use the Ultimate boot cd 4 win, just like a linux boot cd, but you will boot into windows xp environment, and there you can retrieve data.:cool:

lovely?

seriously the first idea is by far the best. i have people bringing me their hd's with screwed up HD's, and broken OS's and i just pop them in my computer for a few minutes and transfer the files to a thumb drive or an internet storage server.