918 items is slowing down your computer

Discussion in 'General Computer Chat' started by fmonte, Sep 19, 2019.

1. fmonte

fmonte Member

Every few days I get this pop up on my computer. I do run Avast (free antivirus). I have had my computer for a couple of years and I do feel that it does not respond as fast as it use to. Even if I should disregard the pop up, is there something I should be doing to my computer periodically to keep it running as fast as possible. Thank you in advance for any help. Frank

2. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

Run malwarebytes and ccleaner periodically. Avast just tries to scare you into buying the software instead of using it for free.

_Kyle_ likes this.
  3. fmonte

fmonte Member

Thanks John. Okay, I ran both and no pop ups so far. One question, I noticed the Malwarebytes and Ccleaner are now running in my system tray. I only have 8 gb of memory. Should I turn them off. In your opinion, should I upgrade to 16 gb to get a faster running computer? I have an SSD in IDE mode (I found out too late I should have changed it to AHCI before installing Windows on it, I really don't want to go through the whole reinstall process unless it is absolutely necessary to get more speed). What I don't understand, I am getting spikes in the usage. See screenshot below.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  4. fmonte

fmonte Member

One other thing to mention. I use Dragon Naturally Speaking voice to text software throughout the day so I have to keep it running in the background so it is ready, instantly, when I need to use it. I notice that when I turn it off, I get a little better performance. Do you think this is a possibility. If so, is there another voice to text software that is less of a drain on resources? Thank again.

5. fmonte

fmonte Member

I just got another pop up alerting me that my online activity is not private and anyone can view my activity. When I clicked on resolve, the following page opened. So, two questions. The 2 software that I tried did not solve the problem with the pop ups. Is there anything else I could do? I know to disregard the pop ups but should I be doing something to address the online privacy concern? Thank you. Frank

6. fmonte

fmonte Member

7. BulldogBuzz

BulldogBuzz Member

you could reinstall your operating system this will get rid of any malicious programs it will be like a new computer

8. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

As I said, Avast will give you popups to scare you into buying the paid version of the program. I get them all the time.

2048Megabytes likes this.
  9. 2048Megabytes

2048Megabytes Active Member

I do not know how Avast software runs in 2019 but when I used it in the past I hated it. It really slowed my computer down and took too many resources to run. Presently I use Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware on my Windows 7 operating system to protect myself from malicious software.

If I fear I have any malicious software infestations I just clone my operating system from another hard disk drive that is a master image. I use Acronis imaging software. It is great software for doing hard drive clones.