9800 GTX Fried (probably). Looking for a replacement.

Droogie

Hello CF! It's been so long since I've been on here, and I return seeking your help.

I have a PC that's about 5-6 years old with the following specs:

MOBO: ASUS P5N-D
RAM: 4GB DDR2 800
CPU: Q6700 Core 2 Quad
GPU: GeForce 9800 GTX (the culprit)
PSU: 600w

Recently the graphics card has been failing on me. When I boot the PC I have vertical lines running the length of the screen and distorting the display. Device manager is giving me a code 43, and given that the card is 5 years old I'm guessing its fried. I've tried all the quick fixes like uninstalling/reinstalling drivers, reseating, etc. The fan is still spinning on the card. Any other suggestions for fixes are welcome, but really I think it needs replacing.

I'm not too familiar with current graphics cards, so I'd like some advice on a replacement. I'd like to keep it around $100. Thanks.

Darren

Staff member
What brand is your PSU? Do you have onboard video you can try or another graphics card that you can borrow from somebody to test?

Droogie

What brand is your PSU? Do you have onboard video you can try or another graphics card that you can borrow from somebody to test?

PSU is an OCZ. The display is now just black when I boot up the computer. I did try an older card that is also broken, but with a different issue, and the display works fine (for a short time and then the broken card overheats.) Not an ideal test, but I don't have a fully working card to try.

The code 43, plus the fact that I was getting common and gradual symptoms for a dying card, and that the test card didn't have the same issues makes me pretty certain that the 9800's days are over.

What do people think about the Radeon HD 7770? From my research this seems to be one of the front runners at the $120 price point. How does it stack up to the GTX 650 listed above?

Thanks.

wolfeking

banned
The 7770 will be the better card there.

but answer this question. Are you feeling limited by your 9800 GTX? If not, you can replace it with a GTS250 (same exact thing as a 9800 GTX+) for round abouts $50 for a new one.
If you are feeling limited, the 7770 should be completely fine.

Droogie

The 7770 will be the better card there.

but answer this question. Are you feeling limited by your 9800 GTX? If not, you can replace it with a GTS250 (same exact thing as a 9800 GTX+) for round abouts $50 for a new one.
If you are feeling limited, the 7770 should be completely fine.

To be honest I really wasn't feeling limited by it, everything I threw at it ran just fine. Games like Skyrim and New Vegas run beautifully, but there is a significant drop in frames when I max out the settings. I think I'll upgrade to the 7770.

Thanks everyone