9800 Pro 128 Ram or 9600xt 256 Ram

Flash_AAA

I would say the 128mb 9800 Pro with 8 pipelines, 256bit , 107 million transistors
the 9600 XT has 75 million transistors, 4 pipelines, don't know the bits. I dont know how much the 128 memory vs 256 memory comes into play.
http://www.area3d.net/overview.php here is a site where you can compare the two.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I would say the 128mb 9800 Pro with 8 pipelines, 256bit , 107 million transistors
the 9600 XT has 75 million transistors, 4 pipelines, don't know the bits. I dont know how much the 128 memory vs 256 memory comes into play.
- Transister count isnt that important :p But yeah the 96XT is 256bit memory as well
- There isnt much difference between 128Mb and 256Mb yet ... the extra 4 pipelines mean tons tho

Nephilim

VIP Member
get the x800xt

It's a nice card but I fail to see how this helps Turkishmoose. Don't you think that if he was considering a card in that price bracket he would've asked about the X800?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Don't you think that if he was considering a card in that price bracket he would've asked about the X800?
And within ATi it wouldnt be much of a contest as the X300 and X600 are POSes and their 9x00 counterparts are vastly superior

Flash_AAA

Whats the price difference of a 9600XT and a 9800 pro. I t sure isn't easy finding the perfect card for your budget so many brands, prices, card options, manufactures ...

Flash_AAA

Praetor said:
- the extra 4 pipelines mean tons tho
I was comparing specs on ATI vs Nividia and all but 2 of Nividia have 4 pipelines while many of ATI have 8! I did notice though that Nividia has 2 textures per clock while ATI has 1. Does the maufacture process have to do with a better card .13, .15?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I was comparing specs on ATI vs Nividia and all but 2 of Nividia have 4 pipelines while many of ATI have 8!
If im not mistaken for both ATI and nVidia cards, only the flagship cards have 8 pipelines and the midrange/low-end cards have 4 pipelines

Does the maufacture process have to do with a better card .13, .15?
The smaller the process the higher the clock ceiling :)