9800 pro black out

Emptyevergreen

i own a 9800 pro 256 card and lets set up a scenario here....ok lets say i was playing call of duty and while i was playing one of my friends in aim or xfire decided to instant messag eme, at this moment the screen will darken and it wont go back to normal until i go into the graphics settings and tough the brightness slider bar,i dont have to move it i just have to touch it as if to indicate to the game that thats where the brightness was. friends of mine with similar cards are haiving the same problem anyone have any fixes or ideas?my idea is to get rid of this troublesome card and go nviidia you know...the way its meant to be played

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
LOL nvidia cards have the same "problem" so to speak. The reason this happens is because you have two brightness/contras settings active: (1) windows and (2) game. When you go to windows, it switches to that one and when you ALT+TAB back to your game, since the video engine isnt reloaded (i wouldnt think so but i dont own the game), then the brightness/contrast will remain as "windows" mode.

Games with badass graphics will tend to reload the entire graphics engine when you ALT+TAB back as to avoid that "problem"

Emptyevergreen

well thats the thing that throws me off, it will reload the game every time i quit out and go back in, but its not even when i fully leave the game. if i just get an im while i am playing, even if i have the intention of ignoring this im the game will darken. gets kind of annoying after a while

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
it will reload the game every time I quit out and go back in, but its not even when I fully leave the game. if I just get an im while I am playing, even if I have the intention of ignoring this im the game will darken
Yes i know... when that popup thingy comes up, it uses "Windows" brightness. And since the video engine isnt being reloaded the game will henceforth use "Windows" brightness :) You'll note on games that do reload their video engine, that in fact, Windows will (sometimes) use "game" brightness and not the other way around