9800gt vs 9600gt?

EGS

banned
Sorry for making so many threads about different video cards...but I'm trying to narrow it down!

Anyway, now my options are a 9800gt 1GB or a 2gb 9600gt.
What should I get? What's better?

I game and multitask.

Computer_Freak

I second that

As I said in the previous thread, the memory doesnt matter in this case. The 9800GT is a superior card, and the memory wont change that.

Now if it was 9600 1gb vs 2gb, thats a different story

EGS

banned
Okay sorry folks. :) I just don't understand what the memory is used for..guess I'm thinking of RAM or something? I dont know anymore. :p

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Okay sorry folks. :) I just don't understand what the memory is used for..guess I'm thinking of RAM or something? I dont know anymore. :p
The memory is graphics memory, often referred to "VRAM" (Video RAM, though VRAM used to have another meaning but let's drop academics now). It's used for storing textures, all kindsa data the GPU works with... pretty much everything involved in 3D-rendering. It is separate from system RAM.

EGS

banned
Oh. Well it would make sense the more VRAM the better...so that's why I would've thought 9600gt with 2gb would have been better than the 1gb 9800gt just because it has more memory to render with..

Olimarman

Don't quote me on this though, but I'm fairly certain that 1gb is more than enough, so you'd essentially just have an extra gig of vram sitting there doing nothing.

just a noob

have you considered an ati 4850? you would probably see better performance, even though it has 1/2 of the ram, unless your gaming on something over 24 inches, your not going to see a whole lot of extra performance from the extra vram

N3crosis

It really depends on your monitor. If you have a 19" I would probably reccomend the 9600 GT (considering price), but if price is not an issue then get the 9800 GT. I have it and it's great, plus if your motherboard supports SLI you can simply add another one later on.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
9800GT 1GB, although you may not even need the 1GB version. What's your monitor's size/resolution? You may be good off with the 512MB version

512MB is great for 19" and below IMO

zakattack9

I'd say go with the 9800GT. It's a strong card. I've seen framerates of the 9600GT and well it's under 30 on Crysis.