A 7600gt (min req.350w sys supply) running on a 300w psu. This a problem ?

jonny-chip

A 7600gt (min req.350w sys supply) running on a 300w psu. This a problem ? :eek: And also my 300w system supply has to run a: amd 3500+,2gb ram,and a geforce 7600gt :( if this is a problem what would happen to my hardware and would i have to upgrade to a 600w to run my new amd 6000+ when it comes.

Cheers for reading my thread :D

Zangetsu

Hi there,

350W for only 7600GT is a bit too much. They say that because they want to be sure of it. Not only that, they already have considered that you would have some other components is your pc. But, 300W can't handle a 7600GT + some other stuff that are lying in your pc. You should really consider on buying a 450W+. Especially if you know already that you are going to upgrade in the near future. 600W should do just fine.

If you have a 300W PSU and let's just say you need to have a 400W PSU. What will happen? Well, your pc will reboot or freeze. That's all. Especially when you are stressing the pc, e.g. If you are playing a game, then your pc will reboot.

Zangetsu

Michael

A 7600gt (min req.350w sys supply) running on a 300w psu. This a problem ? :eek: And also my 300w system supply has to run a: amd 3500+,2gb ram,and a geforce 7600gt :( if this is a problem what would happen to my hardware and would i have to upgrade to a 600w to run my new amd 6000+ when it comes.

Cheers for reading my thread :D

I have the 7600GT (rig is in my sig) running off of a Delta 250w PSU w/ a 15a single 12v rail.. it runs fine =)

What's the rated amps on the 12v rail of your PSU? ..or what model PSU do you plan to use the 7600GT with?

oscaryu1

VIP Member
^ Probably crash after playing Maplestory... :D

I say spare $29 and get an cheao 600W @24A offa ebay. They can have the plain ones or have ones with tons of LEDs. Never go over $30 (ship included)

Michael

I say spare $29 and get an cheao 600W @24A offa ebay. They can have the plain ones or have ones with tons of LEDs. Never go over $30 (ship included)

I bet you're wrong, I played COJ and NFS:Carbon last night without trouble :D

EDIT: I wouldn't suggest buying a PSU from ebay, you never know where it's been, or what's been done to it.

Last edited:

oscaryu1

VIP Member
I bet you're wrong, I played COJ and NFS:Carbon last night without trouble :D

EDIT: I wouldn't suggest buying a PSU from ebay, you never know where it's been, or what's been done to it.

OK I take that back... :D Still though... I cant believe its still running... is it running hot during Carbon?

jonny-chip

will i need upgrade when i get my amd 6000+ though because am getting that before my new geforce card and i will be repalcing tht new cpu with my amd 3500+ which will use less power i guess.

Michael

OK I take that back... :D Still though... I cant believe its still running... is it running hot during Carbon?

No crashing here..

As for upgrading the PSU to install the 6000+ and a 7600GT, I'd recommend it.. I have a 3800+ 65w, my original cpu, 3500+, was 89w, I gained overhead when I installed my dual core which probably helps when running my 7600GT on a 250w PSU.

jonny-chip

well i need to get a 400w one so am going to get that instead since its cheaper which has a pci express connector. Also when i play games it freezes and reboots lol.

ceewi1

VIP Member
Do you know anything else about the power supply? E.g. amperage, brand/model. Not much to go on ATM, but if it's working now and providing stable voltages you're probably OK, at least for now.
I have the 7600GT (rig is in my sig) running off of a Delta 250w PSU w/ a 15a single 12v rail.. it runs fine =)
The keyword being Delta :)

Buying a PSU of ebay because it's cheap and has a big wattage number is usually a bad idea. Just because a PSU has a 600W sticker on the side, doesn't mean it can actually put out anywhere near this much power. Additionally, these sort of units often lack even basic protection circuitry and will react badly if overloaded.
There's a good chance that his 250W PSU will put out more power than your 600W.

will i need upgrade when i get my amd 6000+ though because am getting that before my new geforce card and i will be repalcing tht new cpu with my amd 3500+ which will use less power i guess.
Once again, any more detailed info on the PSU?

well i need to get a 400w one so am going to get that instead since its cheaper which has a pci express connector. Also when i play games it freezes and reboots lol.
That's quite likely a PSU related problem. Once again, the total wattage rating means next to nothing when it comes to a PSUs ability to power your system. You can take a look at my list of recommendations here: http://www.computerforum.com/90117-ceewi1s-psu-recommendations.html. I would suggest posting which PSU you're after before buying it, just to make sure that it will work OK for you.

jonny-chip

I found the cause of this problem where i restart when playing a game, (world of warcraft) its when i over overclocked my 7600gt :( and now its back at default so that means i can leave the new psu for crimbo when i get my 8800gts and now i can just concetrate on getting my amd 6000+ :p