A bug in the computer

TheBishop

I was given a PC by a guy at church. He bought a new one after a bug got into the PC.

The bug is a program called Windows-Recovery.

It blocks the program list in windows and it kills the windows mouse and keyboard so you can't alter or try to kill it.

It trys to force you the buy the program after it claims the pC is infected with all kinds of viruses. It also claims the hard drive has crashed.

I plugged in the DOS mouse and keyboard and restarted to have some control, but it finall blocks DOS from completing and blocks the CD drive so you can't add a cd with a program to kill hte bug.

I killed it by complete fromat with the DOS keyboard. the windows keyboard will not allow the prompt "Load from CD" to work.
Any have informatiom on this.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So did you reformat the computer or no? There is no such thing as a DOS keyboard and mouse. There is only usb and ps/2 type keyboards. You woud have to access the bios to set the first boot device to cd rom drive in order to install windows.

However, if you haven't formatted yet, we can kill the infection and clean up the system without reinstalling windows.

Let me know where you stand.

TheBishop

It's done

I believe I could have removed the bug if I had mouse and keyboard control. He was using both usb mouse and keyboard. the bug disabled the usb ports so the user could not press any key to reload the orginal CD to reinstall windows.
But by using the old style round plug mouse and keyboard I regained control of the pC and formatted the system killing the existing windows and the bug.

The PC is fine now.

What I wanted to tell every here is that the usb ports can be deactived by a bug, but the old style mouse and keyboard can help kill the bug.

New PC have removed the old style connections in favor of USB, thus helping windows based bug/virus problems to do more harm.