A build with old and new?

novicegeek

Is it possible to build a PC using older components from other PCs? like using a power supply or CD drive from an older PC and put that in a new one?

If that's possible, I think that's the way I'd like to go. But I need to know whether or not that is an option.

Thanks.

Yeah so long as the parts still work and are compatible, yes.

For example, older PSUs tend to have 20-pin power connector rather than 24-pin power connectors, so the older PSUs with the 20-pin connector won't work with more modern boards which require 24-pin.

Similarly, the older CD/DVD drives use IDE, which many onewer boards don't support. If the drive is SATA though, it'll work fine.

I stuck my old cd/dvd rom in with my new build works fine, about 6 years old but it was sata. old power supplies i wouldnt recommend though being that older ones don't come with surge protection and generally could burn out your other components.

Generally you can reuse cases, PSU, disc drives, and HDD. Assuming they have the same connections for newer stuff (SATA) they should be fine. Also the 24 vs 20 pin on PSU is something to think about. Also it's never a bad idea to get a new PSU when doing a build since they become less efficient with use and newer ones tend to be more reliable, assuming you get a good brand.

Back