A+ Certification Course

Dezso

I am planning on taking the A+, also known as COMPTiA+ certification course, but there are at least a couple of places in New York City that offer it, including the ACE Computer Training School, The Technical Institute of America, and NYBI. They all seem like good schools with good ratings on Google and whatnot, so it becomes hard to decide which one is the best.

beers

Staff member
How familiar are you with computers currently?

If you've ever successfully built a PC or are familiar with all of the components you could pass the test right now.

Geoff

VIP Member
Are you willing to self study? There are many books covering the test, and the test can be taken likely close to where you live.

If you've ever successfully built a PC or are familiar with all of the components you could pass the test right now.
I understand the A+ is a pretty basic cert, but if you only know how to build a PC you won't pass. These are some of the topics on the A+:
  • Security: Authentication, access control, encryption
  • Networking: Core concepts of IPv4, IPv6, subnetting
  • IT Operations: Basics of virtualization, cloud computing, desktop imaging and deployment
A+ used to be primarily on PC components and troubleshooting, but they've definitely expanded in recent years.

Darren

Staff member
I'm sure there's more than 1 or 2 series on Youtube specifically for it too.

What are you wanting to do with it? A+ is only going to be useful to get your very first IT related job, think along the lines of very entry level help desk at best and likely just break fix repair or the likes of GeekSquad.