A completely new computer

Isorse

If I create my own CPU, Along with its own Motherboards, Components, Physical and non-physical drives, and a 1tb processor, Over-Clocking, etc. Would I have to code my own Operating System or would it be compatible with existing Operating Systems, Software, and Hardware?

beers

Staff member
1 TB processor? Doesn't sound like you're particularly ready ;)

If you built the entire platform around known standards (x86/ARM, PCI Express, USB, etc) then you should be able to install OSes and similar that utilize those architectures. Otherwise you'd have to rewrite everything or find a way to port something like GCC to the operating system you also had to develop.

Reactions: kam

kam

Do you first of all know how to do this? And I wouldn't "code" your own OS if I were you...

strollin

Surely if the OP is capable of creating his/her own cpu, motherboard, physical and non-physical drives, etc... writing an OS for it would be a trivial matter.

Isorse

1 TB processor? Doesn't sound like you're particularly ready ;)

If you built the entire platform around known standards (x86/ARM, PCI Express, USB, etc) then you should be able to install OSes and similar that utilize those architectures. Otherwise you'd have to rewrite everything or find a way to port something like GCC to the operating system you also had to develop.

I own a 1 TB Processor

Isorse

I seriously doubt it. You might own a 1TB hard drive but there is no such thing as a 1TB processor. Processor speed is GHZ not TB which registers size not speed.

Sorry, I meant to say 1.1TB not 1TB and I meant to say Hardrive instead of processor, My processor is 4.4GHz

beers

Staff member

StrangleHold

Staff member
If you have the knowledge and hardware to build your own CPU/Motherboard/hard drive plus write/code a OS. Why are you asking if you built your own hardware if a common OS would run on it? It would seem to me that you would already know that answer.

kam

If you have the knowledge and hardware to build your own CPU/Motherboard/hard drive plus write/code a OS. Why are you asking if you built your own hardware if a common OS would run on it? It would seem to me that you would already know that answer.
True! :confused:

Geoff

VIP Member
Sorry, I meant to say 1.1TB not 1TB and I meant to say Hardrive instead of processor, My processor is 4.4GHz
They don't make 1.1TB hard drives, they come in standard sizes such as 1TB, 1.5TB, 2TB, etc. I'm not sure how you get a processor and hard drive confused, but what defines your processor is not your speed. If we ask what processor you have, you don't say 4.4GHz, you say I have an Intel Core i7 4970K (as an example).

It sounds like you aren't ready to build your own computer. As someone else suggested, read up on the A+ cert, they go over basic computer components, what they are used for, and basic terminology.