A Computer To Buy.

Razaroth

Hi. Currently, i have a 3 year old dual core amd computer, and i was thinking about upgrading. Basically, 2 months ago, i bought a geforce GTX 260, and now i realize that my system is just hampered down by all the low quality pieces in there with this new beauty put in. So, heres my question!

I was thinking about building a really cheap (900 or less) i7 920 computer, without a monitor or graphics card. That way, when i get it, i can throw my GTX 260 in, and then throw in another for SLI when it starts to slow down a bit (as of right now, it seems to handle all games really easily).

I was wondering where to buy the PC online, because i do not trust myself with building one on my own, plus, from what ive found, a 840$ i7 920 is basically a bargain as it is. I've found this one here:

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Mega_Special_IV/

Take out the video card, change the case to the cheap one, and you end up at a simple 836$. Could anyone find something for the same price or cheaper, or recommend me some other places to look for such a computer?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Also, is it REALLY cheaper if you build it yourself? its so hard for me to believe you can beat 836$ with everything it has in it.

Last edited:

Razaroth

To add what linkin posted earlier:

USA / Northeast.
Looking for something 800-900 dollars / better than what i posted for the same $$.
I will use the computer for absolutely everything. Video encoding, File server, Streaming to my xbox, music mixing, heavy gaming, all at the same time.
I like Cyberpowerpc. I've bought from them a lot. And, i like Newegg a lot. However, i am open to change.

ScOuT

VIP Member
You can save a ton of money most of the time by building it your self. Some companies do have pretty good deals on pre built computers.

There are people here that can help you choose parts and help you put them together if you need it. It can get difficult working out a few of the bugs when building your own. But...overall it is actually easy. You might be surprised how easy it is.

You will also just have the satisfaction of building it. You will learn a lot. Once you build a computer....you'll always build a computer.

If you wanna give it a shot we can walk you through the process and help with about every aspect.

The Black Friday Sales are coming...there will be bargains everywhere!

Razaroth

With black friday sales, does that go on for newegg as well?

I find it VERY hard to believe that you can build a computer for less than what that cyberpower computer is... I already have the graphics card, as i posted.

But its just too hard to believe i could save money doing it that way.

linkin

VIP Member
Well put it this way:

Prebuilt machines are assembled by machines, which cost money to run and purchase. then there is quality control, which humans do, and they need to be paid. Overall it will add cost, and buying components indivudally is cheaper.

one year ago all i knew about computers was how to turn them on and install an o/s. Now i've built my own. If you can change a hard drive and plug things in, you are already there. :)

Oh and what video card do you have exactly?

apj101

VIP Member
Well put it this way:

Prebuilt machines are assembled by machines, which cost money to run and purchase. then there is quality control, which humans do, and they need to be paid. Overall it will add cost, and buying components indivudally is cheaper.

one year ago all i knew about computers was how to turn them on and install an o/s. Now i've built my own. If you can change a hard drive and plug things in, you are already there. :)

Oh and what video card do you have exactly?

thats not true, in general you cant really build for less. you not comparing apples with apples a lot of the time. A big buyer like dell will kill you on componant input costs so even after their margin they will often be cheaper, but then you are locked into using their components and have much less flexibility.

bomberboysk

thats not true, in general you cant really build for less. you not comparing apples with apples a lot of the time. A big buyer like dell will kill you on componant input costs so even after their margin they will often be cheaper, but then you are locked into using their components and have much less flexibility.
Actually after you hit around the ~$1k mark it becomes cheaper to build your own, and the higher end prebuilts you look at(such as alienware) the cheaper it becomes to build as well.

Plus with a system from an OEM you have to deal with their support, low end motherboards, power supplies, hard drives, etc.

apj101

VIP Member
Actually after you hit around the ~$1k mark it becomes cheaper to build your own, and the higher end prebuilts you look at(such as alienware) the cheaper it becomes to build as well.

Plus with a system from an OEM you have to deal with their support, low end motherboards, power supplies, hard drives, etc.

fair enough at the high end you may be right, i haven't priced up a rig in years.

Razaroth

Well, thats why im checking. I mean whenever i try to build the same computer from newegg even with deals, i cant get this cheap no matter how i try. So, thats why im asking if money can be saved building, or if its just best to buy this computer for cheap, and just add the video card i already have.

I have a GTX 260 'superclocked' edition. Runs decently, but of course in a i7 config i see it bottlenecking. So later on, i could always just throw in a second.

Also planning on RAID 0, in order to make performance a little better.

Edit: Also, is there any danger in overclocking multiple pieces in a computer at the same time?