a cpu as powerful as a gpu

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by jesse kraus, Sep 11, 2017.

1. jesse kraus

jesse kraus Member

the title already says it, why aren't cpu's as powerful as gpu's. im just curious.
  2. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

You must not be looking at the right cpu's then. Each level of cpu's have their uses. There are some processors that cost more then a good video card does.
  3. Deerling7

Deerling7 Active Member

Because a GPU is independent. It processes one thing; graphics. A CPU is at work all the time. Adding graphics to it just makes more for it to do, therfore making it a current impossibility for a CPU to be as powerful as an GPU.

Note: Some APU's may outperform very low performance or old GPU's
  4. Deerling7

Deerling7 Active Member

Edit: I misread the question. All above info is useful! The actual answer is below:
    Graphics take more computing power than what a CPU has to process. They do make some very high end CPU's though, such as the i9-7920x. It does not have integrated graphics though, so a GPU would still be required :p.
  5. StrangleHold

StrangleHold Moderator Staff Member

I know this was from Sept but its kinda of a misleading question. GPUs are SMID, take a 1070 it has 1920 cores. If you compared them core for core a CPU would mop the floor with it. Just think if you had a Ryzen with 1920 cores.
  6. 2048Megabytes

2048Megabytes Active Member

Good explanation Stranglehold. Compare the size of most video cards to a central processing unit. There are loads of more processors in most video cards over central processing units.