A: drive failed

I posted in the software part about my problem with a CCTV system. I have not tried to use the A: drive in years but since we had a attempted break in, I tried to use it again. My system is Vista, no updates ever needed since it's only used for CCTV.
I can't change the A: drive to another larger like flash or CD.

Now when I try to send a snapshot photo from the CCTV system the prompt says can't read the the A:. It also says Cannot format the A: when I put in an old but new 3.5 floppy. I started useing the old Commodore 64 to 128 years ago so I'm slightly familiar with PCs having ben repairing them for 35 years. But my thing is hardware not software.
I can change out the floppy to a never used one but I'm still trying to learn when a system fails. I'm not a board changer, I repair motherboards and electronics circuits, but when failure happens I try to dig deeper not just swap it out.
The system is Vista, 512m, 80 g HD. 2.53 cpu, CD and DVD and Floppy A:.
the only thing I noticed is when the floppy write error come up, in the window the only option is format option is FAT.
I can pull a photo once I copy the CCTV video to another program and copy/paste a snapshot outside the original software program. I'm trying to save time.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
in the window the only option is format option is FAT.
That's normal. A floppy caps out at 1.44MB, you don't need anything other than FAT12.
I can't change the A: drive to another larger like flash or CD.
Why not?
Now when I try to send a snapshot photo from the CCTV system the prompt says can't read the the A:. It also says Cannot format the A:
Can you format the floppy in another system?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like either the floppy drive is bad or the disk is bad. Even though the floppies are new, you will get bad ones.

Ive got several fairly new 1.44 3.5 disk and a few 120mb Super disk and I've tried them in four different PCs and they each say cannot format a:
Two PC's are XP, one is Vista and the other is W7.
Each PC says disk must be formatted first, then fails the format.
All the 3.5 cannot be bad?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Most floppies already come formatted. Check to see if formatted for pc/ibm. The 120mb disks takes a different drive all together.