A few (dumb) questions about building.

haggard1337

Okay, so I just bought all the components I need to build a system.
I pretty much have gotten down the whole process on how to build one, and all I have now are a few small questions.

1. Static electricity:
I don't know much about static electricity, so I want to know about what kind of precautions I can take to help diminish static.
I know that I should avoid carpeted areas, always ground myself etc... but will it help to wear rubber gloves, or stand on rubber mats while I build?

2.If possible, I would like to have a list of the absolutely necessary tools, and any optional ones.

3.Screws:
Will I need to buy my own screws, or are they supplied with the parts?

Thanks for helping this new builder out :)

vix

1. Static electricity isn't really that big of an issue as long as you ground yourself before handling components. Touch something metal occasionally and you should be good.

2. Tools: Phillips screwdriver. That'll take care of 99% of the necessary parts installs.

3. Screws: Motherboard standoffs usually come with the board. If you don't already have a thousand screws lying around, I'd probably invest $5 and get a bunch just in case.

scooter

banned
Okay, so I just bought all the components I need to build a system.
I pretty much have gotten down the whole process on how to build one, and all I have now are a few small questions.

1. Static electricity:
I don't know much about static electricity, so I want to know about what kind of precautions I can take to help diminish static.
I know that I should avoid carpeted areas, always ground myself etc... but will it help to wear rubber gloves, or stand on rubber mats while I build?

2.If possible, I would like to have a list of the absolutely necessary tools, and any optional ones.

3.Screws:
Will I need to buy my own screws, or are they supplied with the parts?

Thanks for helping this new builder out :)

1. if you ground yourself that will be fine..if you are just building and its not plugged in there is no issue..but you can simply touch the chassis and work with other hand and that will suffice.

2. Phillips screwdriver is essentially all you will need..

3. Depends on the parts you have, most motherboard comes with the screws to mount...as do other parts.

Your chassis (case) should have come with screws to mount your drive bays..etc..

If not, hardware is so cheap...you can score a parts bag from alot of computer shops for ..dirt cheap or even free..