a "fun" work/ general purpose machine

guitarplay

ok, so i read all those computor spec things and i realised, it was helpfull, but what i need is kinda more specific. I use 3d modeling programs. Right now i need a new computor cause one i just got actualy told me in an error, i need a new graphics card. Then my computor froze.

I was at first looking at the play machine < 1300 budget but i realised, this is good for gamin, with a nice grahics card and things like that, but then i realized, these programs need a lot of proccessing power, and it is more work, however i dont think the work computors are set up for any good graphics cards. . .

So i have a card in mind. It is a Fireglv7100. I can get it for about $650. Now is there any way you can suggest a makeup of parts to fit my needs, of a powerful work computor, that is also good for that kind of graphics card. Im looking, including the graphics card, for something under or around $1500. The highest i would ever think about is around $1700. I would like a good 120gigs of hard drive space at least, with around 1-2gigs of ram. Also i would like a "comprible" processor. Something that is good, but not something that is outragously expensive or excessive cause modeling realy is only a hobby right now. Also, i think it would be good to have some sort of extra fan or something. This is preety much all id need it to have, everything else is not my area of experties.

Jet

VIP Member
Look into Intel Core 2 Duo processors. Are you going to use it for gaming at all? What does $1500 include? (In other words, does it include windows or a monitor and such?)

robina_80

intel core 2 duo is good but if your on a budget id say get and amd am2 with at least 2 gigs of ram and if you want to play games get x1900 or 7900 g/card

guitarplay

first, sorry for not replying. I got a trojon horse, and had to bacukup, then wipe, and reinstall my computor. Unfortunatly i lost my favorites, so i had to re find the sight.

ok, whel i may play like starcraft or warcraft or diablo. I have the games, but im missing some keys, and my warcraft disk doesent install correctly. So i might, but nothing fance, this is a modeling computor.

It does not include a moniter, and i thought i could just use the one i have allready if i could. Its not a great monitor but i dont see why i couldent use it. What do you think.

about the graphics card, mine is all about what i want. and thats not realy gonna change.

I will look into the core 2 duo, but if its too much, do you think what i have allreay is fine. In the package, it has an amd athalon X64 something. I think its good enough.

And i looked on apple.com just for kicks, and a mac, with good enought everything, and only 1gb of ram would cost me over $4500 ha.

Also, i have Windows XP home edition service pack 1, however the person i would have put the computor together could give me XP professional service pack 2. I would though like to find out how to get linux and xp working together, i know its possible, and i know one program i have right now would run better on linux, cause its a linux based program.

last, im preety happy with what i have right now i guess, and i was wondering if anyone could point out a fan/ inexpensive cooling system that would work with what i have. Again its the <1300 in the play machines section of computor specs 101 topic.

hows this compared to what i allreay have?

its price is good, but i think its just a core duo, not a core 2 duo (didnt realy see anything i thought was a core 2)

Last edited:

guitarplay

bump can anyone tell me if i have the right core duo thing please and wheather or not it is better than the amd i allready have chosen.

bebopin64

ok core 2 duo is NOT for people on a budget. It sweeps the board with AMD X2. So for $1500 you can get a core 2 duo system with your video card but since they are sold out everywhere your gonna have to get the processor on ebay.