A Gaming Computer

Aastii

VIP Member
well he might want the space for the future. idk. just trying to think of a logical reason

Because 1tb=good to those that aren't in the know, simply because it is a large storage capacity.

If he absolutely needs it, like I said, then there is a use for it, but for the average user that doesn't have even close to that much data, so it is a waste.

If in the future it is needed, a second drive can be got or a storage drive can be. If that is the case, a second 500GB drive can be bought at a lower price (prices will ofcourse drop), put in RAID0 to get a 1TB drive that has much better performance

jarlmaster47

Because 1tb=good to those that aren't in the know, simply because it is a large storage capacity.

If he absolutely needs it, like I said, then there is a use for it, but for the average user that doesn't have even close to that much data, so it is a waste.

If in the future it is needed, a second drive can be got or a storage drive can be. If that is the case, a second 500GB drive can be bought at a lower price (prices will ofcourse drop), put in RAID0 to get a 1TB drive that has much better performance

fair enough. I was just trying to say why he might want a 1tb drive. I don't agree with it either but its whatever

Geoff

VIP Member
The price difference between a 1TB and 500GB is pretty small, it doesn't make much sense to get a smaller one, you may not fill it up now, but in a few years I bet it will be pretty full. A 500GB hard drive costs $54 and a 1TB drive is $69.

Aastii

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];1479877 said:
The price difference between a 1TB and 500GB is pretty small, it doesn't make much sense to get a smaller one, you may not fill it up now, but in a few years I bet it will be pretty full. A 500GB hard drive costs $54 and a 1TB drive is $69.

see that makes sense. I didn't know the price difference for US, don't tend to look at US sites on acount of being in UK. When I bought my new HDD the other month though here, it was only just more expensive getting 2x500GB drives than getting 1x1TB, so I thought it would be similar over there, so not worth the extra, but for the sake of $15, it is worth it just for the extra (MUCH extra) space

fastdude

Whoops

He has a quad core in there, the 860 is a quad

If he doesn't have 1TB of data, what is the point in getting a 1TB hard drive? May as well save money, or put the money towards a better component(s)
I know; I meant to say a core 2 quad, ya know, the old ones :)

Aastii

VIP Member
I know; I meant to say a core 2 quad, ya know, the old ones :)

If he had to drop down would be better sticking with the 1156 board, and dropping from i7 to i5 and saving some that way. Would have better future upgradability, better memory and more modern features over a 775 board and the older Core 2 architecture