A Good Free Anti Virus?

PC eye

banned

axgrinder73

AVG wont install on a server. Anyone know of a good anti virus that can be run on a server enviroment?

Other than that, I love it so far!

Motoxrdude

Just curious as to why run a windows server? Is it a web server, or a domain server?

I searched around, and it appears for a server, you need to buy an anti-virus software.

axgrinder73

Just curious as to why run a windows server? Is it a web server, or a domain server?

I searched around, and it appears for a server, you need to buy an anti-virus software.

I am running Server 2003 because I am an IT student. I am not currently running any server services on it, only using it for training/testing purposes and to run virtual machines on. (I use this machine to run my virtual machines because it has 4gb of ram)

I tried Avira and AVG and neither will allow you to run them on a server platform. I was trying to avoid paying for an AV program(I'm cheap like that.)

Thanks for all of the help!

PC eye

banned
I am running Server 2003 because I am an IT student. I am not currently running any server services on it, only using it for training/testing purposes and to run virtual machines on. (I use this machine to run my virtual machines because it has 4gb of ram)

I tried Avira and AVG and neither will allow you to run them on a server platform. I was trying to avoid paying for an AV program(I'm cheap like that.)

Thanks for all of the help!

That's what Yahoo and Google are for! :p How about Panda for 2003? http://antivirus.about.com/od/vendorpressreleases/a/pr041503.htm

There's a lengthy list of programs for servers(mail, SMTP, web proxy, etc.) seen at http://www.vicman.net/lib/antivirus/server

PC eye

banned
For commercial use you go retail. For private home use you can download the free versions offered by different companies. It all depends on the application there. Grisoft has their own professional version for commercial use while still offering the free version linked earlier at the beginning of the thread for the private desktop.

axgrinder73

abu yazn, welcome to the forums!!

I have read the Panda web site and it doesn't say it (the free version)will work on Server 2003. Can anybody confirm this?

And yes, I have used google. A google search will give me answers, but I would also like feedback from people that have real life experience with a particular product. That's why I asked here.

patrickv

abu yazn, welcome to the forums!!

I have read the Panda web site and it doesn't say it (the free version)will work on Server 2003. Can anybody confirm this?

And yes, I have used google. A google search will give me answers, but I would also like feedback from people that have real life experience with a particular product. That's why I asked here.

no, PC_Eye meant to say that free versions are used for home while other commercial products are used for servers etc..

PC eye

banned
The server environment is generally seen in the commercial/corporate environment while the free versions seen by Grisoft and other software companies are strictly intended for private home use. That's why searching is the only answer there unless someone here familiar with servers and the programs run can point you at a free one. Otherwise you have to simply decide on which retail product to use there.