A good replacement for iTunes?

JohnJSal

I've been wondering what might ever happen if my current iPod finally dies, like my previous one did. I'd really rather not get another iPod, so along with wondering what would replace iTunes as my song organization software, I guess I'm also wondering what other mp3 players are out there that are good.

Ideally I'd use my phone, but battery power is always an issue.

User0one

I like Winamp for music play back. i have 3 broken ipods, and never used itunes. I had a small third party app that i used to load the ipods, and used Winamp to play music on the computer.

JohnJSal

I probably should have specified this, but I'd like to use the same program to both listen to my music and load it onto my mp3 player. Do Winamp or WMP work with mp3 players like this?

That seems to be the big problem. Sure, I can find other music players, but how am I supposed to load music onto my mp3 player?

User0one

Most of the generic mp3 players don't have propriety software to load music. They just let Windows treat the mp3 player as a USB Drive. So you just have to drag n drop music to them.

The 3rd party software I use to use with the ipod didn't play the music, it just allowed to drag n drop the music to the ipod.

Winamp has a good forum, you might check there if player syncs to any mp3 players, I know it didn't on any of the older ipods I had.

Troncoso

VIP Member
You can set the iPOD to manual mode, where the PC treats it as an external hard drive. Then you can just drag music onto it.

At least, I assume this is still possible.