a goood router for gameing?

crypter

Im looking for a good router for gameing mostly, iv heard it can hurt your ping badly if you dont get the right kind. I would also like it to stay downloading good also..

what brand or things should i look at to make sure i dont get a router that will slow down my 3mb cable or give me worse ping in games.

I dont "want" to spend much, id say around $50 but what would be recommended for cheep and what would be reccomended for best performance? Im not getting this router for a firewall so security doesnt matter that much( more secure would hurt performance right?)

i dont know if all routers do this but i want it to be able to work as a LAN with the other computer and be able to share files ect with it..

computerdude2004

I have never heard of good and bad routers because some lose more information than others. I would say, get a router for a wired network, because a wired network is faster than a wireless network, and get a router from a name brand.

Grimulus

I'm partial to D-Link. Easy user set up and all...solid performance.

I don't think you are going to see a huge difference in the different brands anyway. Just don't get something that sucks, get a good name, but don't think one(of the brand names) is going to rock ass over the other.

btw, i can't spell very well, but it's "gaming" not "gameing" :)

computerdude2004

Linksys routers are easy to set up as well. I have tried both D-Link and Linksys and I was much more satisfied with the Linksys routers.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Lynksys is a division of Cysco Systems, and thier the best
For the consumer market perhaps but when you start getting into the uber heavy duty stuff (load balancers, aggregators, 3-kazillion ADSL switches), this years batch has ad some problems :( (i do some stuff with ISPs heehee). Of course avg users dont mess around with that kinda hardware :p

Linksys routers are easy to set up as well. I have tried both D-Link and Linksys and I was much more satisfied with the Linksys routers.
To be honest, how much configgin do you need to play a LAN game? Plug everyone in, turn everything on and play regardless of the brand :)

SFR

Truth fears no questions
I have a Linksys Cable/DSL Router and an 8-port switch, a Linksys modem, and a Linksys kvm switch.

I needed too buy a simple 8-port switch.. and I found a great deal on a D-link model at COMPUSA for $9.99

I have yet to have problems with any of them.

So... my point is:

Save Money... buy one that is on sale. Both brands make quality products.