a little help with making a flash video game

Fireguns

Hey i am looking for anybody that know a that know how to make a level menu for a flash video game. I already know how make the characters move and background, enemy's, ect. but what kind of menu i am looking for is a menu like Nitrome's video game menus when you start the game you can only go on level one and you got to complete the level to order to go to the next level and when you go on the game again al the levels are unlocked that you completed and the ones that you didn't complete is still locked. So i need that certain kind of help because i look everywhere online and can't find a thing.

Punk

Staff member
Actionscript is the programming language of Flash. What version of Flash are you using?

Fireguns

i am using adobe flash cs5.5
and i need help with making levels unlock once you beat an level and i tried to make a menu and all the levels are unlocked and i don't want that what i want is when you start the game you have a level menu and the levels that you beat and the level that your trying to beat are unlocked and the rest are lock something like this from my favorite game cheese dreams

Attachments

• cheese dreams level menu.jpg
    cheese dreams level menu.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Punk

Staff member
I need to know for a menu like this

I haven't done any actionscript in years. What you need is set a code to unlock certain levels. Once they've entered the correct code, it takes them to the level.

Fireguns

ya i can't find the codes any where and when i tried to look in the game for codes everything is not organized so i was not able to find it and i looked everywhere on the internet and there is no suck thing. so i was just checking if any of you guys know about it.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
You need to make it on the way that when one level is finished (for example when the first level is finished),that you write some information (your choice...for example "LEVEL_1_FINISHED") in a simple text file so that the next time the game is launched that it checks that text file and according to the informations written in that text file you know how many levels to unlock and how many of them keep locked.

So all you have to look for is the code how to READ and WRITE to a simple text file.

I could give you this example in let's say VB,C#,J# or C++,but since you are doing this in flash,the code is different.But reading and writing to text files should not be a big problem anyway so just look for that code function.

You can use a FILE STREAM class.Here is an example:

var file:File = File.desktopDirectory.resolvePath("MyTextFile.txt");
var stream:FileStream = new FileStream();
stream.open(file, FileMode.WRITE);
stream.writeUTFBytes("LEVEL_1_FINISHED");
stream.close();

It is actually pretty similar to C# if you ask me.

Last edited:

Fireguns

i never heard of c# and also why i am making a flash game so it can go on the internet like most video games and can you give me a little more info please about how to exactly do it like a tutorial somewhere please.

Punk

Staff member
i never heard of c# and also why i am making a flash game so it can go on the internet like most video games and can you give me a little more info please about how to exactly do it like a tutorial somewhere please.

You'll be better off learning Actionscript and making everything in Flash than using more languages to code your game...

Buy a book, that's how I learned :)