A little networking help? SOLVED

Axholio

Hey guys - I'm new here and am new to networking computers. From speaking with others I know you'll need certain details about my hardware so here's my story...

I have some expensive software on an older Vista machine that works flawlessly with the exception of the internet. I do graphics and web design, so I have Photoshop, and a couple other editing programs. They are paid and owned versions, not subscriptions. But they don't work on newer versions of Windows. Same same for some audio recording software I have. Expensive stuff, but won't work on newer versions of Windows. I also have an older version of Office that's paid for - not subscription. Doesn't work on newer versions.

So I have gotten a new computer with Windows 10 Pro on it. What I need to do is connect the 2 computers together so I can access them both from the same monitor using the same mouse/KB. I want to use the new computer for everyday internet and business stuff, and use the older one for my graphics, music etc. But I need to be able to get the files from one computer to the other and back without issue. I also need to be able to use both computers for their intentions.

Example:

I create a masterpiece of art in Photoshop on the Vista machine. I want to post it on the internet for the world to admire, but the Vista machine is not connected to the internet. The Win10 machine is. So I need to get the file from Vista over to 10 and use 10 to share it with the world.

Then, I have a client. He sends me a picture via Dropbox that he wants edited. Since 10 is connected to the internet and Vista is not, the picture ends up on 10. But I can only edit it in Vista. So I have to get the picture over to Vista, edit it, get it back to 10 and Dropbox it back to the client.

Sounds complicated - I know. But I'm a cheap bastard that doesn't want to pay for what I already have.

Both computers are full size desktop towers - not laptops. And there is no issue with having them wired together. I have a router. It has several Ethernet plugs in the back, if that matters. The new computer has not been hooked up at all yet - still in the box.

My plan for sharing the KB/Mouse and monitor is as follows:
The KB/Mouse are wireless and both computers have USB ports on the front so I can just move the bugs from one to the other when I switch. The monitor has 2 input sources that are isolated. I can hook up both computers to the same monitor using different input sources and switch between sources on the monitor itself. I looked into a KVM but most are HDMI - My monitor is not. I'm pretty sure my solution will work.

My questions are about connecting the 2 computers together. I've read a lot of different solutions, but I want to know the best for my needs. I don't need wireless. The towers are right next to each other, so wiring them is not an issue. I don't believe Remote Desktop is right for this. I keep seeing articles to connect the 2 using an Ethernet cable... but each computer only had a single Ethernet port. So what would I use for internet? I don't really want to use Flash Drives to copy and paste them. I know there's a better solution than that.

I have a TP-Link router that has 4 Ethernet ports on the back. Do I just connect using that?

Then once it's physically connected, how do I get them to "see" each other?

Sorry for the long post, but I know you need to know the details. I hope you guys can help me get this up and runnin. But go easy - I don't understand big words... lol.

Thanks and HI!

Ax

Last edited:

Axholio

Update: I've hooked up the W10 box. Everything is running well. Transferring the KB/Mouse bugs works well as does changing input source for the monitor.

I connected to the router to get internet because I needed to for some set-up BS windows wanted, so that side of things is up and running. Now all I have to do is connect the 2 comps together.