a minor problem

LaGlaceMince

if you could point me to a solution, id be very grateful. I have
been having problems with powering on and off. When i power down the
computer, the tower stays running, even though the OS shuts down.
also, when the computer sleeps or is put to sleep, it does not wake up completely; the tower powers back up, but the OS does not respond (i.e. the monitor stays black)
i haven't run into this problem before, so any information you can give me would be appreciated! thanks.

AdmnPower

VIP Member
when you power down the system, how far does it actually go, does it just hang on the windows is shutting down screen?

LaGlaceMince

weak. lol.
well, i guess its time to start checkin parts.
anyone know what parts might be malfunctioning?
thanks for the info ;D

AdmnPower

VIP Member
ha ha, yeah i really don't know, something with the motherboard maybe. I know the power switch on all new motherboards simply sends a short to the board to power on, i'm not exactly what causes it to power off. In order to get it to power off do you flip the switch on the power supply? Have you tried holding the power button in (usually after a few seconds the computer will power off) i know thats not how you're supposed to power it down but you could try it once the computer is totally shut down as you say.

LaGlaceMince

yeah. thats what ive been doin for the past few weeks. :p
thanks for the help. i think ill do some tests and try and zero in on the piece of hardware thats not up to snuff. lol.

AdmnPower

VIP Member
i'd guess either the power supply or the motherboard. seeing as how the power supply would be easyer to swap out i'd try that first
lol