"A network cable is unplugged" message appears only on 1 computer?

remember

We have 4 desktop computers all connected to the router with ethernet cables.

At least 1 computer is poping up the 'Local Area Connection' "A network cable is unplugged" message about every 10 seconds and makes using the web nearly impossible.

I unplugged the ethernet cable from the back of this defective? computer and plugged the cable into my extra laptop. I have no more "cable is unplugged" error messages poping up on my laptop and I can use the web effortlessly, and suspect the problem lies somewhere in the aforementioned desktop computer, but who knows possibly exactly where?

Can anybody please help me to figure out this problem, so I can decide what to do to correct it?

Thank you very much for your time and effort.

P.S. At first I thougt it was the router, but then realized, if my laptop connects to the web, then it must be the desktop computer, but again, I don't know and hope someone can help me.

Last edited:

Masterfulks

This might not help, but my computer is 5 years old. Every now and then I get the cable disconnected problem, yet my laptop runs fine on the same cable.

I have to plug/unplug the cable several times until the little light comes on. After the light comes on once, it runs fine until I restart and it's another diceroll at that point.

Sometimes it takes 5 minutes of plug/unplugging sometimes 20. I've tried everything and all I can figure is that the port may be about dead.

Maybe you just need to clean your port out if it's an old dusty laptop.

remember

Thanks for the response.

My laptop is fine, it is brand new. I was only having problems with the desktop computers, which are about 5 years old.

I was also thinking that the ports where the ethernet cable gets connected into is also dead, but I find that 2 of my desktops are poping up the "cable unplugged" message, which makes me think, it is either a super coincidence that 2 computer ports failed at the same time or what else the problem could be I have no idea.

I will try doing that unplugging and plugging thing, better than nothing, but eventually I will have to resolve the problem. Aside from using one of those compressed air cans, I don't know how else I would clean out the ports. Do you?

If anybody has any other ideas, please let me know. Thank you very much.

Last edited:

shenry

I'm currently having a problem like this. My desktop says the cables not plugged in when I plug it into my wireless router no matter what cable/port but when I plug it into my modem which luckily has four ports it works fine. I've tried another computer and it works fine with all cables and such.

Just my input.