"a network cable is unplugged"

kitmk

this, it seems is the error of doom
after successfully setting up a home network between my laptop and my desktop, which is using a USB modem, which allowed me internet on my laptop, it worked (amazingly) for a long time. unofrtunately when i boot into ubuntu (from windows, on my laptop) while the network had previously been working in windows, the network works in linux (all well and good you might say, and thats what i thought) (throughout this the green light is on on the lan connection thing on the back of the desktop) well, after booting back into windows where i would normally just double click on internet, or an instant messenger, and it would connect, it wouldnt, because, after a wuick look into the system tray it seems that after "acquiring network address" a "network cable is unplugged"
whilst trying to fix this i have noticed a few things:

-when running windows netowrk setup wizard, it informs me of disconnected hardware (running this on the desktop, happens also on laptop). after checking various things, i can conclude that it windows seems to think that "this hardware is working correctly".

-the green light on the back is no longer on

-the cable is still fine (i didnt notice this, this is just fact, ignore the cable , the cable is fine

-the laptop is ruled out as being the problem as after having several "experts" look at it, and trying it with another network (my school netowrk, plugged into wall) i can conclude that the lan is working correctly on the laptop

ok, so i would normally just use the USB modem in my laptop, but the software decided it wasnt going to finish properly, it stays on by taskbar (although finished) after either trying ti update, install or uninstall the setup crashes and i have to end through task manager, it says "the remote procedure cell failed"

short of reformatting my laptop i cannot see another way of getting usb software to work (i tried the software ont he disc, and from the website, same problem for each). if you know a way to either get the LAN to work, or the USB software to work, then please reply, if i cannot get either of these to work then i shall have to peruade my parents to part with money to get me a router, hopefully that will sort the problem (completely unrelated, but my dad who runs his business from this desktop (the one with faulty lan) doesnt seem to be bothered that i dont have internet, because it works for him, a funny shock to his system was when i accidentally broke the thing that all the stuff plugs into, like USB modem, phone lines and so on, i fixed it and was very funny look on his face, teeheeacccident)

thanks for any help in advance

kitmk

all the drivers for all machines are the ones they worked with when i set the network up originally this was 2-3 months ago, and sorry about it being so long, it just avoids people saying "are you sure youve done this? that? the other?" and so on

codeman0013

Go into the device manager and ensure you have all of the things you need there if there is a ? or the nic is mising there is your problem...

kitmk

device manager says "this device is working properly", but obviously it isnt, as i am not seeing a light