A new system...Now how do I PROTECT it?

Jeepers79

So I have a fresh new slate..I dont want junk on here like spyware, virus etc. I realize there is only so much you can do. But what do yoyu all recomend to best protect my system.
  • I am using the Firefox as an internet browser (told it protects against spyware better...)
  • I am running Zone alarm firewall. It's a trial for 15 days, is it worth buying?
  • I have a trial version of Nortons... Is that worth buying too?

Should I run an ad-aware type program every so often?

What else should I do, or what should I do differently?

Thanks!!!

tristan

You are doing a pretty dang good job. Firefox is the way to go. Norton is a good idea yes. Make sure you keep that updated regularly though. Ad-aware and 'spy-bot search and destroy' are good/effective programs, run them about once a week. You should be good to go with that.

Grimulus

put it in a garbage bag then tape the sides and leave a hole open for your cd bay. that should keep it protected NICELY from nasties. oh wait, you mean file wise!!
j/k man.

you are off to a good start. Norton Antivirus is worth the money for sure.

nomav6

I just started using firefox myself a little while ago :cool: , and I swear by it now, I hate that I still have to use IE at work :(

Nephilim

VIP Member
I'm another Firefox fanatic.

My only suggestion would be to look at AVG antivirus. AVG is free, regularly updated, simple and has never let me down. AVG caught everything Norton did in the reviews I've read.

I run Norton SystemWorks mainly for Ghost and SpeedDisk but didn't install the antivirus part in favor of AVG.

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

Jeepers79

THanks guys.. :)!!
Think the Zone alarm upgrade is worth buying too? or just stick with the basic free version that does less?
Mike

tristan

Its not essential and I havent heard enough amazing things it does for me to get it myself. But others may feel differently, i dunno.

nomav6

I had zone alarm once just to play with something new, but saw it as being pointless, but like tristan said theres sure to be someone out there that feels it is needed

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Think the Zone alarm upgrade is worth buying too? or just stick with the basic free version that does less?
Have a go at Agnitum's Outpost (they've got a free one too) with a world more of functionality

kb1ghc

Avast!

i use Avast! antivirus, it's free for home/non-profit users. and it's virus scanner is as good as nortons, but it's not so "in your face" it's pretty quiet and doesn't take up a lot of resources nor annoy you.

Last edited: