A question about 32bit and 64bit pcs

malfromcessnock

Hi board members, my first post.

I'm thinking of upgrading my xp to another Dell computer.

After looking at their range and building an xps desktop on their site I want to ask you people (very pc - lol) if the software I already have which was bought (generally speaking) for a 32bit computer, will that (software) be compatible on a 64bit system?

I have Office 2007 Pro and many others. When I look on the MSOffice side panel the license has this text within, "Win32" - now to me that suggests it is 32bit software.

Will it work on a new Windows7 computer?

What, in layman's terms is the difference between 32 and 64 bit systems?

Cheers, Mal from Cessnock AU

SMGOwnage

In laymens terms:

32-bit: Allows only 4 gb of RAM max in Windows
64-bit:Allows up to 192 GB of RAM in Windows (certain versions) and has a diffrent "base" of windows.

99% of Windows 7 32 bit programs will run on 64 bit windows.

Hope this explained it to you.

Troncoso

VIP Member
Being technical, the 32 bit limit is closer to 3.5GB of usable RAM.

And also, you'll find 32 bit to not usually be a problem (talking about software) on 64 bit Windows 7 and to an extent, Vista. XP (considering there wasn't really a commercial 64 bit XP) will have more issues with it. Just a random fact, I suppose, since I know you aren't getting 64 bit XP.

Last edited:

malfromcessnock

Troncoso - thanks for the intel. Have you got yourself one of those far out Alienware Dell's. They look beautiful, that's for sure!

Cheers, Mal

paulcheung

The office 2007 one note would not print on default in Windows 7 64bits, you have to get a third party program in order to make it work. I don't know if there is any fix within windows itself.
Cheers