A question about Cloud Computing.

Jason Long

Hello,
Excuse me, I have a question and I'm sorry if it vague or odd. I'm thankful if anyone reply me clearly.
How a company make a cloud platform and provide service to others? Is Cloud a lot of servers in the world that clustered together? For example, a main server that running a hypervisor like Xen with some VMs and this server clustered with a lot of servers to provide HA service.

Thank you.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I can speak to this as I work for an MSP and we host our own private cloud offering (opposed to a public cloud like MS Azure, AWS, etc)

Basically we just have a ton of storage and CPU (a bunch of blade servers running ESXi, a Nimble storage array, and a Dell Unity array).

A cloud is basically any compute and storage resource that is not hosted on-prem for the clients and it is managed by others.

beers

Staff member
A cloud is basically any compute and storage resource that is not hosted on-prem for the clients and it is managed by others.
Somewhat, I worked at a company that offered it's own "cloud" as well, but it was more like those T-shirts that just say 'the cloud is just someone elses computer'.

There's definitely some resource contention and elasticity factors between private firms and public ones.

Jason Long

Thank you for your reply, but I'm right?
The company that make its own cloud service, just have a lot of servers over the world that they running a hypervisor and offer a web interface to manage the hypervisor for their clients?

beers

Staff member
From a conceptual standpoint, yes, although both sides vary a lot in design, functionality and connectivity.

The basic 'cloud' premise essentially just describes virtualization, since you can scale up extra instances if you have enough physical capacity.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Thank you for your reply, but I'm right?
The company that make its own cloud service, just have a lot of servers over the world that they running a hypervisor and offer a web interface to manage the hypervisor for their clients?
AWS and Azure allow the clients to access a GUI to control the environment. Most private clouds however do not.