A question about Computer slowing down...

SemiDevil

Hello All,

This is my first time posting, hopefully everyone is nice:D

I have a few questions I need to know about computers.

1) I have been told that you shouldn't turn off your computers all the time and just let them stay on and maybe once in a while turn them off.

My question is, if I leave my computer on for more than three days or two days, and I try to do something, my computer just drags. Everything becomes really slow. I want to know why is that?

When my computer is on for three days, typically, I dont' run anything. I'm not burning, or downloading or whatever. I just let it sit there. But two or three days later, its just slow.

I have a Hewlett-Packard Pavilion Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 2.5GHz 512 MB of ram.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

bigsaucybob

1. Its not bad to leave your computer on, but im sure its always nice to give it a break

2. Your comp might be slow after leaving it on for a long time because its underclocking itself to save power, im not sure but sounds logical

PC eye

banned
If you haven't monitored temps at all one possible reason for seeing it slow is the extended period it would be running where the temps are at their highest.
When you shutdown after a few hours of use the temps are just about average at that time where things run normal. There are some good utilities for keeping tabs on temps and voltages as well. Some are even freewares.

magicman

VIP Member
It never hurts to put an extra fan in the case, and may help your problem. I would always recommend extra cooling if the case has room for it.

Just remember to plan the airflow inside the case so that there are as few air blocks as possible and make sure you have the same amount of airflow into the case as out of it.

SemiDevil

Awesome....

I'll try to get another fan..

I have another question. WHen you guys do a Control +ALT+ DEL the window's Task Manager window pops up. Under the Performance tab, and if you are not doing anything, what is your CPU usage should be? And your PF USAGE?

Maybe I have a program running that I dont' know about...Maybe thats the reason why its slow on after about 2 or 3 days of it being turned on.

What about my Processes tab? what should be running and whats not?

THank you.

Sorry guys...i know it seems like a novice question, but I just dont' know much about it.

I am here to be educated :D

Thank you

magicman

VIP Member
CPU Usage really would depend on how many programs are running in the background. For example, my PC has about 75 running processes and CPU usage idles at 3-4%. In theory of course, if the CPU doesn't have anything to compute, it won't compute. So if usage is high on idle then I'd say it's down to a process hogger.

You could post a hijackthis log in the security section to make sure nothing's there that shouldn't be, usually just arranging the process tab in order of CPU usage gives you a good idea of what is using the CPU the most. If you've got a system hogger, that'd be one way to find out what it is.

SemiDevil

Oh ok I see.... Thank you magic man.

You could post a hijackthis log in the security section to make sure nothing's there that shouldn't be, usually just arranging the process tab in order of CPU usage gives you a good idea of what is using the CPU the most. If you've got a system hogger, that'd be one way to find out what it is.

I'm sorry. I'm not comprehending the post a hijackthis log in the security section. Do you mean like go to the control panel and hit hte security tab?

So if I arrange and see what the CPU is using at most and I'm not running any programs, should I end it?

WHere can I obtain system hogger?

Thank you.

magicman

VIP Member
Ok ok, a few things there were misinterpreted, so sorry about that.

In the Computer Security section of this forum, there is a really good guy called Buzz who checks over people's running processes, usually to weed out viruses and similar things. This gives you instructions on how to download and run a program called Hijackthis, which gives you details about what's going on in your pc.

Never end a process just because it is showing "99" in the CPU usage bit. Even if you are running no programs, your pc will be running lots of processes, just to keep Windows running. And the CPU usage number only tells you the percentage of the total CPU usage that a specific process is using. So just because you see a 99, doesn't mean your CPU's working at 99%. It means 99% of the current CPU load is taken up with that process. I hope that makes sense.

And system hogger isn't a program (well, it could be for all I know :p). It was just what I called a process that was taking up more CPU power than it should be. That's where Hijackthis will come in.

Phew! Hope that clears some things up. :)

SemiDevil

Ok ok, a few things there were misinterpreted, so sorry about that.

No No No....Don't say that..its just me and my lack of computer knowledge. I actually feel bad that I have to have you explain it again in simpler term:eek:

In the Computer Security section of this forum, there is a really good guy called Buzz who checks over people's running processes, usually to weed out viruses and similar things. This gives you instructions on how to download and run a program called Hijackthis, which gives you details about what's going on in your pc.

Never end a process just because it is showing "99" in the CPU usage bit. Even if you are running no programs, your pc will be running lots of processes, just to keep Windows running. And the CPU usage number only tells you the percentage of the total CPU usage that a specific process is using. So just because you see a 99, doesn't mean your CPU's working at 99%. It means 99% of the current CPU load is taken up with that process. I hope that makes sense.

And system hogger isn't a program (well, it could be for all I know ). It was just what I called a process that was taking up more CPU power than it should be. That's where Hijackthis will come in.

Phew! Hope that clears some things up.

That is awesome.....I will do that and let him check what I have..Thanks for the help man. I really apppreciate it. And what you just wrote, made a lot of sense. Thank you.

SemiDevil

Hey MagicMan

Whats up MagicMan

I followed your instructions and ran the HIJackthis program. I followed the instructions overthere and it wouldn't let me post the log file because it was already closed.

Is there another way where I can post my logfile to Buzz?

Thank you