a question about Word and how to do both a header and a page number?

Robin

Maybe someone can help with this: it's Word 2007, and I want to insert both a header at the upper left of each page, and a page number on the upper right of each page. I can insert a page number, but when I try to add the header it cancels out the page number. If I start with the header function, then it'll do that, but if I include text (a number) in the right hand space then it puts the same page on each page (they all say page 1). If I start with only the left hand header, and then return to add the page number, then it cancels out the header.

Is there a way to add a header and a sequence of page numbers?
Thanks.

Maybe someone can help with this: it's Word 2007, and I want to insert both a header at the upper left of each page, and a page number on the upper right of each page. I can insert a page number, but when I try to add the header it cancels out the page number. If I start with the header function, then it'll do that, but if I include text (a number) in the right hand space then it puts the same page on each page (they all say page 1). If I start with only the left hand header, and then return to add the page number, then it cancels out the header.

Is there a way to add a header and a sequence of page numbers?
Thanks.

I take it your using a 2007 version or higher?

Go to Insert, Click header, click Blank, click quick parts, field, under fields names find Page, Click it, Click 1,2,3 or what ever format you want, click OK. That will insert a page number, which updates automatically on each page. You can also type with it. If in field you then chose NumPages too, put that in next to the page number field you have just made, and separate them with a '/' by typing one in, you can get effects like 1/2 2/2 for each page so page number/total pages. Just make a new document thats blank and fiddle with the options. See what you can come up with.