a question on ram's frequency and timing..

xunsungwar

frequency reads like this -
2666, 2800, 2933 or 3000

timing-
12-13-13-35
9-9-9-24
7-7-718

from my understanding is, the higher the frequency and lower the timing is the best ram. But I noticed something. Whenever u have a ram that is high in frequency it has high timing number which is slower. My question is, which is more important? Frequency or low timing numbers? Please help. Tyvm

Shlouski

VIP Member
It all depends on the software, but I know for gaming a higher frequency is better. The performance difference past 1600 are very small, like so small you would not notice. The best ram is the ram with a high frequency to cas latency ratio.

Last edited:

xunsungwar

It all depends on the software, but I know for gaming a high frequency is better. The performance difference past 1600 are very small, like so small you would not notice. The best ram is the ram with a high frequency to cas latency ratio.

Oic.. anything that is pass 1600 is very small different? do u happen to have any article?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Your over thinking this. There is really hardly any price difference between 1333/1600/1866/2133/2400. Most lower speed will have better timing. Its a lot easier to get 2133 or 2400 with alittle voltage jump to run at better timing then it is trying to get 1333 or 1600 to run at 2133 or 2400 with decent timing or hit that speed at all. So for the money I see no reason not getting 2133 or 2400.

Shlouski

VIP Member
Sure if you can get it for only a little more then its a no brainer. Ive always found it the other way around and that ram often didn't like have their latencies changed, but a little more voltage could most of the time get you more frequency. The memory in my sig, corsair vengeance cas9 wont run at cas8, even underclocked with more voltage, it just doesn't like it, but the little extra voltage took me from 1600mhz cas9 to 1800mhz cas9 no problem. I found this true of most Kingston and Corsair memory ive owned over the years, but that might just be my luck. Anyway considering theres very close to no performance increase going for the more expensive stuff, then theres really no point in buying it, even if it is only a little more expensive, its just money for nothing in my opinion.

Last edited:

Okedokey

xunsungwar

Found this statement and it was quite shocking to me. How is that even possible? Higher frequency will actually be slower? SSeriously this is getting confusing... read belowYou will be surprised to hear that the frequency of RAM has very little effect on the frame rate of a game. In fact, a 2400 MHz

"RAM can result in lower frames per second as compared to a RAM running on 1866 MHz. This is mainly due to the reason that sometimes beyond a specific range of frequency, the latency decreases thus damaging the frames per second. Therefore, if you go for 2400 MHz or higher memory speed, you will basically be spending more money for decreased performance."