A quick thank you and a few questions....

brentduo

It's been awhile since I last posted, I was in the middle of a build and ran short of cash. but I got everything I needed for christmas. I wanted to thank everyone for their help. After putting it all together it fired right up and I installed ubuntu and windows 2k. No problems at all. I impressed myself this was my first build. Currently I have:

EVGA 650i ultra
8500gt 512mb
2gb ddr2 ocz platinum 800mhz memory
core 2 duo E6550
artic cooling freezer 7 pro
coolermaster centurion5
coolermaster PSU
acer 22"

I am running an old ide maxtor 60gb hd and an old sony ide cd/dvd drive.

I want to get a SATA WD raptor. Are they worth the money and are they noticeably faster? I need upgrade the video card too and also get ahold of a copy of vista or xp for this thing. I'm looking forward to playing crysis.
another question, I ran CPU-Z and it's only listing my memory as 400mhz and single channel but it is really 800mhz dual channel, is this an issue or is cpu-z wrong?

PC eye

banned
400mhz x 2 = 800mhz is how to figure fsb and how things are with the dual channel mode enabled. With 4 dimm slots and each channel using 2 of them you may have installed the second dimm on tha same channel. Review the section in the board's manual on installing memory to see which slots are used for the dual channel configuration like A1 + B1 or Slot #0 + Slot #3 or even Slot #0 + Slot #1 etc..

Some rush right at Raptors for the high rpms seen on those. While sadly lacking in size the faster speed would be great for storage drives since the read access time would see the obvious gain. May use them for strictly the OS drive however expecting a performance boost. Here I need capacity over high speed for storage and backup as well as temporary video capturing that chews drive space up fast.