A retarded GPU.

Pretzels

I bought this new computer with really decent hardware, but there's something wrong with it.
You see, I've got a great Processor, Dual Core (2.6 GHz) and a decent Graphics card, a NVIDIA GeForce 8200, but when I play Halo 2 for example, it runs with an incredibly low framerate, even with all the video settings to lowest as possible.
I thought it was my driver and did the hardware test on www.systemrequirementslab.com, and it passed everything. But I had this message saying I might need a diffrent driver, so Ifollowed the link to the NVIDIA site where I downloaded and installed the driver that was recommended for me.
I tried playing again, but damnit, still I get 10 FPS, EVEN on the lowest graphic settings possible.
How the heck is this possible? It says I pass the test but I can't run the game normally. This doesn't make any sense at all!

Does any of you have some advice?

Last edited:

salman

Sorry mate but the NVIDIA GeForce 8200 isn't a good video card for gaming. Its pretty much lowend- you thought wrong if it was good for gaming.

Mez

Yeah... The 8200 is definately not for gaming. It is an integrated GPU. It will get impressive FPS on regular Halo, but you will need a decent Dedicated Video Card to be able to play more graphicaly intense games such as halo 2.

Chuck_Fu

banned
Yeah you wont be able to play halo 2 to well on that integrate gpu. Get a newer videocard like a ati 4850 or something like that.

Pretzels

Thanks for the advice, guys. I barely get replies from any other forum, I should post here more often.

Also, I think it's very misleading that the Systemrequirementslab.com test said I passed everything, even on the "Recommended" mode. But I had my doubts about this GPU earlier so I believe you all.

Now, I'm currently really low on money because I bought this new PC, so all I have to spend at this moment is 80 euros. Is it possible to get a GPU for that money that is able to run Halo 2 on a normal FPS with decent graphics?
Most likely not, but what would you recommend? A not too expensive graphics card with decent performance. Really, I don't need a monster card that runs everything on 100 FPS, I just want to play a game normally.

Any ideas?

Mr soft

The 4670 512mb DDR3 might be what your after. ( I paid 79 euros appinformatica)

I was spoiled with a silent card for a few years so was looking at quiet and cool.
I have the powercoler, and it is very quiet and very cool .
I´d suggest the 3870 ultimate if you can find a good price, or find one for sale.
Pixmania has them discounted to 69 euros :eek: but their out of stock.

http://www.pixmania.com/es/es/772/6...ay=0&startrow=31&orderBy=&sortBy=&articleId=0

Last edited:

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
What kinda games are you planning on playing? Anything more demanding that Halo 2? How much do you have to spend? Radeon 4670 is probably the best budget gaming card out there, it should whoop Halo 2. A similarly performing NVIDIA equivalent would be 9600GSO.

Pretzels

Yeah, I think you're right. I've checked some local stores and they told me they can order a Radeaon 4670, so I'll buy that one. It should be more then enough to play Halo 2 and Rainbow Six Vegas with some decent FPS. I need the card to play at least those 2 games, so I guess it's solved then.

Thanks guys, I know enough. Thanks alot for helping me out!

newguy5

yeah i dunno, i would personally wait till i have another 100 bucks or so and buy something better. good gaming cards are in a relatively small window; everything outside of that window is significantly less powerful for not much less money.