a "salvage build" im building

M1kkelZR

okay so i decided to buy a Crosshair II Formula AM2+ motherboard.

ive done research on it and found out i has 6 SATA ports and 1 UDMA port.
so i have my old PC with the Western Digital 20GB UDMA hdd. and i have 2 spare 320GB SATA's.

1 from my old laptop, may he rest in peace, which is a Toshiba 5400RPM hdd. not the fastest but its a hdd none the less.

and i have a Seagate barracuda 7200RPM, from my uncles dead pc.

now the only thing im going to buy is the Mobo. i still have 2GB ram, which is enough for now. and i have a AM2 sock CPU and stock cooler.

the only thing i still need to upgrade would be the PSU, as its only a whopping 250W one, unless i can replace cables in the PSU's and use the 300W one instead.

my plans for the HDDs is: Seagate: main disk Toshiba: secundary junk disk and Western Digital: backup disk

idk if this is smart but as long as it works im fine.

the graphics card is a MSI NX6200TC. quite disappointed when i found out what it is but it will do until i get the gt210

anyway, ill update as soon as i get my motherboard and post a few pics too

Last edited:

adaeon

I'm not sure the notebook hard drive will work with a desktop computer. I'd just use the 2 320 GB spares and be done with it, rather than mess with hard drives that aren't sure to work.

As for the video card you have, look on the other side of it. There should be a sticker of some sort or a row of numbers you can put in Google to identify the card. If I even saw the other side of it I'd go online and identify it for you but with a low quality picture of a red card and a gold heatsink, unfortunately I can't. All I can tell is it's a somewhat new low profile PCI-E card.

Hope this helps and again, upload another pic of the card and I'll see what I can do about identifying it for you. By the looks of it, the brand may be MSI or PowerColor by the way.

M1kkelZR

I'm not sure the notebook hard drive will work with a desktop computer. I'd just use the 2 320 GB spares and be done with it, rather than mess with hard drives that aren't sure to work.

As for the video card you have, look on the other side of it. There should be a sticker of some sort or a row of numbers you can put in Google to identify the card. If I even saw the other side of it I'd go online and identify it for you but with a low quality picture of a red card and a gold heatsink, unfortunately I can't. All I can tell is it's a somewhat new low profile PCI-E card.

Hope this helps and again, upload another pic of the card and I'll see what I can do about identifying it for you. By the looks of it, the brand may be MSI or PowerColor by the way.

the hard drive from the netbook is a 320GB Sata one so it should work.

the graphics card is a MSI NX6200TC. quite disappointed when i found out what it is but it will do until i get the gt210