A slow pc, which REALLY shouldn't be slow.

Razhel

Hey guys!

So I just bought a new PC 2 months ago.. I was very satisfied with it except for that fact that the cd room was defect so I had to get a new one. But it was running Crysis at max and everything else I wanted to play.
I could download, play a movie, and a game at the same time, and CPU usage was at 20-40% max.

Spec's are:
Q9550 2,8GHZ
4GB RAM Corsair TWIN2X DDR2
4870 HD Radeon 512MB
MSI P45 Motherboard
Corsair 750W
Western Digital Caviar 500GB

Now, I am starting to have ALOT of problems, but the one who concerns me the most is how it's generally alot slower.. And the CPU usage isn't even high.
Like if I try to run 2 wow accounts at the same time I start to lag.
Right now, my FPS is at 40, which it used to be 100 atleast.

I've searched with spybot and Norton and no virus or addwear..

Any suggestions to how I may fix this will be highly appreciated.

Btw, I now have lag spikes at crysis at LOWER graphic, which I used to be able to run at MAX just fine =/

Edit: This is just a few of the problems I am experiencing. Among other which if I leave the pc alone of too long. It will shutdown, and when I move the mouse the MSI motherboard menu will be on the screen and I got to start it again. Also, it won't go to "sleep" mode. And sometimes my screen goes black for a few seconds and it says something with my graphic card having an error and that it has recovered.. If I were to quess, i'd just say that this PC is unstable.. but I was hoping to hear some proffesional feedback from someone who might actually have in idea :p

Last edited:

Razhel

Yeah, I thought about that. I have no idea whats high temp, but I download SpeedFan and it says all cores are between 40-50 degrees all the time. Mostly at 44.

teamhex

Yeah, I thought about that. I have no idea whats high temp, but I download SpeedFan and it says all cores are between 40-50 degrees all the time. Mostly at 44.

Thats really not hot, but not really cool. Thats what I would say is just right for a case with minimum ventilation. A CPU wouldn't have issues at that temp

run C Cleaner (gets rid of cookies you cant delete and temp files, gets me bak about 500mb every day!! and has an automatic registry fixing tool!!) it REALLY works well, otherwise id run ur anti virus, just in case

i dont seee why this should happen, your hardware is pretty impressive and your CPU temp is the same as mine which is a much less powerfull model!!

Razhel

Thanks for replies. Yeah, this should not happen, and its pissing me off :p
I also use CCleaner. Gaahhh, think i'm gonna call service on it tomorrow.. Didn't pay this much to get that kind of a computer =/

mac550

try formatting it and reinstalling windows, could be you windows folder is clogged with crap, works for me.

Davoguha

Could it be that your GPU gets hot? My computer tends to run at fairly decent temps, but I notice when I take off the side, if I feel the graphics card, the area around it tends to be a lot hotter than the rest of the computer. Running your card pretty hard, such as running Crysis at max settings, I would expect that might be the case.

Does your computer lag at tasks that are less GFX intensive, but more memory intensive? If not, I would say your graphics card might be damaged.

bigd54

^^ As stated check your gpu temps and even though your computer is new check for excess dust build up its unlikely but then again things arent adding up in your case. lol

Davoguha

^^ As stated check your gpu temps and even though your computer is new check for excess dust build up its unlikely but then again things arent adding up in your case. lol

Could be the dust too, but really, if damage has been done, it wont matter what his temps are at now...

Do a few video stress tests then see what your GPU temps are at. If they are higher than what is healthy, then its likely you overplayed your games at high res.

just a noob

i don't know if its plausable in your case or not, but i know some stock fans just like to "implode" on their own time, i've seen some guys stock cooler that had no fan blades left, for no apparent reason(gpu fan)

Davoguha

i don't know if its plausable in your case or not, but i know some stock fans just like to "implode" on their own time, i've seen some guys stock cooler that had no fan blades left, for no apparent reason(gpu fan)

Thats always a possibility. Stock fans tend to be made of really cheap materials, and once those blades get spinnin fast enough in a hot environment, they pretty much disintegrate.

LoneWolf_Spike

Things really don't add up
Maybe your internet connection is the problem but what is causing the system to shut off, can it be heat even at low temps
Seriously I would find out the GPU temps you are getting, maybe also run a CPU extensive program, then a GPU extensive program
If it doesn't stuff up on the CPU but does on the GPU then you most prob have high GPU temps (guess)
Even then HOW?
Most prob need to take it in for service

Davoguha

Things really don't add up
Maybe your internet connection is the problem but what is causing the system to shut off, can it be heat even at low temps
Seriously I would find out the GPU temps you are getting, maybe also run a CPU extensive program, then a GPU extensive program
If it doesn't stuff up on the CPU but does on the GPU then you most prob have high GPU temps (guess)
Even then HOW?
Most prob need to take it in for service

Its not the internet connection... Crysis is an offline game, is it not?

Razhel

Its not my internett, cause that wouldn't slow down the pc overall.
I defrag the pc reguarly each 3 day or so. So not that.
I got a picture, hope you can get something out of that xD

Untitled-2.jpg

Davoguha

As far as I can see, all of your processes seem alright. Im not much of one to read the Speedfan.

Question, is it necisary to run 2 WoW apps? I dont play WoW myself, but I have noticed that running 2 of any online game will cause excessive lag on both clients for reasons unknown to me. Does a single WoW app run fine?

Also, try rebooting your system before running Crysis, and see if it runs better.

All of that said and done, if you still have issues, I would say its a GPU problem.

Davoguha

Edit: And sometimes my screen goes black for a few seconds and it says something with my graphic card having an error and that it has recovered..

I actually had that same problem with Counter-strike Source. Granted, its not nearly as intense of a game, but I did play it excessively at high graphics settings, and I dont have a very powerful video card. After about 2-3 months of playing CSS, I began getting those errors, and CSS wouldn't run well at full GFX settings anymore.

My GPU was damaged.

Yours might be too.

Razhel

:O Wouldn't be the first thing wrong with this PC! Thanks for all your replies. I've called the deilvery company, and they'll come get this PC and get me a new 1. :)