A way to squish screen horizontally when neither monitor nor driver will let me do it

andrewanimation

Hello,

Is there a way, such as software, that will let me squish the screen horizontally when neither the monitor nor my Intel Graphics Driver have controls or settings that will let me do that?

My good computer will be in the shop for more than 2 weeks at least, so I'm using my older emergency-situation computer to complete important work til then, but the best I could get the screen resolution, even after researching and installing the latest Intel Graphics Driver for this card, is a resolution that's not terrible for an emergency computer, (1280x960) but the problem is that the screen is stretched too much horizontally using my brand-new 24-inch Acer monitor, which, for whatever reason, doesn't include an option for resizing the screen by any single attribute.

I tried using my old-type monitor for the sake of the correct ratio, but wow is it ugly.

My work is very graphics-intensive, so fixing this screen stretch is pretty crucial. By using a piece of paper and a perfect square in Microsoft Paint, I came to the conclusion that the screen is currently almost 120% stretched-out horizontally.

Thanks

Cleric7x9

im sorry, i dont quite get what you mean by "squish," you mean letterboxing like when you watch a 16:9 movie on a 4:3 TV?

andrewanimation

Maybe new LCD's don't do it at all, but on the old CTR's, for example, (I think that's what they call the old monitors) there were buttons and dials for adjusting the sizes of the length and width of the display (as well as adjusting placement), located at the bottom of the unit. I need a way to shorten the length of my display. So that there are black bars on the left and right sides. That would help me maintain the aspect ratio (1:1) of my display.