A whole shift in computer gaming?

fastdude

I know alot of this thread has been about "PC's can do gaming+so much more" , but modern consoles are becoming kings of convergence; It's a must in a modern console to have a web browser, music/video player+online store... And then there is the argument of "When something is relegated to a function, it's not as good as if it were performed by a dedicated unit; however, I disagree, and would rather play games on a PC anyday! :good:

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
I don't see pc gaming dying at all. All i see is stupid console fanboys saying it is because they have crysis 2. Most if not all console games run at 720p or less at native and are then upscaled. thats why pc gaming will always be better. Higher resolutions.

Why would higher resolutions alone carry PC gaming forward? I mean I can think of many other reasons, but higher resolution doesn't really matter if console games look just as good on full HD TVs. I mean heck, I bet the number of gamers running monitors higher than 1080p is pretty small compared to people running 1680 x 1050 and 1080.

Aastii

VIP Member
I know alot of this thread has been about "PC's can do gaming+so much more" , but modern consoles are becoming kings of convergence; It's a must in a modern console to have a web browser, music/video player+online store... And then there is the argument of "When something is relegated to a function, it's not as good as if it were performed by a dedicated unit; however, I disagree, and would rather play games on a PC anyday! :good:

I agree with that, but look at say facebook on Xbox, it is such a bitch to use because typing is so much slower on a console than with a keyboard. You can have these things on consoles, but they won't be as easy until dictation becomes sophisticated enough to fully understand. But then with things like facebook and twitter, it is sort of personal, so would you really want to use them on a TV infront of people

Why would higher resolutions alone carry PC gaming forward? I mean I can think of many other reasons, but higher resolution doesn't really matter if console games look just as good on full HD TVs. I mean heck, I bet the number of gamers running monitors higher than 1080p is pretty small compared to people running 1680 x 1050 and 1080.

Yea I am still running @ 1280x1024. Can tell the difference between my better PC graphics and consoles, but can't tell between my resolution and 1080 or higher, unless I swap from 1 to the other, so that really isn't a plus for PCs per se

speedyink

VIP Member
Most people who game on a PC also own a console, or several. I own a Wii, PS3 and a 360. I also own a nice gaming PC. I have my personal preferences, and there are games on both platforms that work better on one or the other. For example I don't think God of War 3 would be as good on PC as it would PS3. It is a platformer game, and they just "feel better," on a console, on a big screen HD TV, in 1080P, with surround sound through your home entertainment speakers. GOW III floored me with how bad ass it was for a console game. I was very impressed, more so than any PC game I have played in 2010 so far.

So it comes down to preference ultimately, and I don't see either of them going anywhere soon.

Exactly. I own a wii, ps3 and a gaming pc, and i switch between them depending on the mood i'm in.

And games like GOW3 will keep consoles alive. Like you said, amazing game which is definitely nice on a console.

As for cloud gaming, Thats a looong ways off. Very few people in the world have internet fast enough for the bandwidth it would require to stream live rendering content fast enough to provide the player with split second commands at their fingertips. Not to mention the insane amount of bandwidth needed if it actually takes off.

And honestly, the whole cloud thing in general doesn't really appeal to me. I like having my hard copies of things.

Last edited:

Method9

Uggh. This thread needs to be stopped. Try to picture how cool the front of the Atari 2600 cartridge for the game, Adventure looked:
2web3pc.jpg

"Oh wow! Check out that castle! Oh yeah? Huh. Wow!!"

The reality of the matter was that you got to control a square navigating a maze as you ran from/chased a yellow duck around. Get that Chalice, yay!!

What I'm getting at is that much like text adventures (xyzzy?) you used to use your imagination. Nowadays that is gone and the burial ceremony is worth its own thread much like a scary record played in a dark room on a record album.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I also think all sports games play better on the platform-centric console. I also like racing games better on consoles. PCs I like shooters and RTS games better.

It all comes down to preference and lets be honest here. I think everyone has games they prefer to play on PC or a Console depending on the genre and preference.

Blurredman

I also think all sports games play better on the platform-centric console. I also like racing games better on consoles. PCs I like shooters and RTS games better.

It all comes down to preference and lets be honest here. I think everyone has games they prefer to play on PC or a Console depending on the genre and preference.

I've always used PC for whatever I play, I bought a console maybe 6 months ago and yes I played for a while on it but now it's no longer being used, I cannot think of the last time I genuinly sat down and played on it for longer than 3 seconds. I only got it because my friends had them.

But I much prefer the PC culture and social side eg. X-fire

tlarkin

VIP Member
I've always used PC for whatever I play, I bought a console maybe 6 months ago and yes I played for a while on it but now it's no longer being used, I cannot think of the last time I genuinly sat down and played on it for longer than 3 seconds. I only got it because my friends had them.

But I much prefer the PC culture and social side eg. X-fire

There are always exceptions to generalizations, and you are one of them I guess.