About AVG

newbie123

Here is what I read about AntiSpyware
This setup contains the free as well as the paid version of AVG Anti-Spyware Free. After the installation, a free 30-day trial version containing all the extensions of the full version will be activated. At the end of the trial, these extensions will be deactivated and the program will turn into a feature-limited freeware version. The purchased license code can be entered at any time.

What are feature-limited ??? Is its anti quality worse ???
thanks !!!

PC eye

banned
I dpn't know where you came across that for the AVG Anti-Spyware Remover since that is strictly a freeware to start with. In it's former life it was commonly known as Ewido until Grisoft bought it out. Anything with a 30day trial is a shareware version of a full retail product. Grisoft's AVG Pro as well as other sharewares will often be limited or invalid once the time period has expired.

The regular free version of AVG 7.5 and the Ewido replacement are simply free full service apps found at http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5#avg-anti-spyware-free You will note the word "free" is seen instead of "www" at the beginning of the link there. The free versions of these tools will see periodic updates on a regular basis if set to auto load along with Windows.

StrangleHold

Staff member
After the 30 days the free AVG anti spyware program disables the real time protection so you just end up with just a system scanner like Adaware

From AVG

This setup contains the free as well as the paid version of AVG Anti-Spyware. After the installation, a free 30-day trial version containing all the extensions of the full version will be activated. At the end of the trial, these extensions will be deactivated and the program will turn into a feature-limited freeware version. The purchased license code can be entered at any time.

When you download the free one you get the paid verision for 30 days, then the paid features are deactivated. You end up with just a scanner

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
The only reason it's even here at this time is to have an extra tool onhand. What has past both the AVG spyware remover, Spybot S&D, Windows Defender now seen in Vista, and several others is the Spyware Terminator that includes a personal firewall along with scanning and other protective services. http://www.spywareterminator.com/

But you never get "everything" when you grab any freeware or free to try out program what would you expect? Likewise many seem to have an impression that one or two programs will "do it all". Guess again!

newbie123

How about AVG Antivirus, it's free surely, why I see it at the bottom right icons is in inactive state (I see it dark ??? ), does it mean it do no protection ???
and when it reminds me to update, I always get error except the first time installing it ???

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
The free version is a full version for strictly home use and not for the corporate environment. Companies pay out for the networks they have and purchase the professional versions. The free version runs in the background and contains an email scanner as well as system scanner and alert manager. You can manually start a system scan or have it set to a daily or weekly schedule.

I've times when it was completely disabled and jumped to life when a trojan made it to the drive. But no one program offers 100% against everything even retail. The AVG Anti-Spyware Remover fails in Vista sadly where it sees problems running. Meanwhile Grisoft just released a new anti-malware program for either a trial period or full purchase.