? about building comp's

kensc

Sounds easy! hehe thanks. Like building legos. Im gonna buy tommorow. I wanna buy from new egg, because alienware cost way too much. 5000$ lol I think I did something wrong.

PC eye

banned
That's about the highest place to order from I have ever heard of there. But they are more or less building custom "gaming" cases in elaborate details at times there. The steps at assembling are relatively easy once you get familiar with the "common sense" approach and use care when handling the various hardwares like memory and the cpu. (step... crunch! :eek: ut oh? :confused: )

Double checking "everything" does take some time to get used to. But when I get started I don't stop until the system is up and running. For the beginner it "will" and I mean "WILL" take some time before that happens however. If you become unsure about anything simply "ASK FIRST" before doing anything that could damage stuff. :eek: :mad: Once you have worked on a few you won't be asking so much. :D

Bronson7

I have to tell you, there are few things more satisfying than building your first computer. I built my first 2 1/2 years ago, and have since built four more for family members, all of which work great. You can do it, like others have said if you take your time. If you're uncertain about something, research it BEFORE you do it. The fine folks here will guide you. It's funny, after building my first, A wave of depression came over me, but was short lived once I began using my new computer!
Bronson7

HumanMage

This isn't about your build but...They made WoW: Burning Crusade available for pre-order? :eek: :eek: I need to get with the program here...

kensc

My mom she thinks I will break the parts so she says I cant buy them. So now how do I convince her that I can build a comp?

Ryu Hitokiri

My mom she thinks I will break the parts so she says I cant buy them. So now how do I convince her that I can build a comp?

To my knowledge, building a computer is just placing parts together, loading up an operating system and installing drivers. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, please. Right now I'm taking a computer class and my teacher lets us touch his very expensive computer with the latest technology because he says "everything can be fixed" (unless you do something dumb and snap a graphics card in half well duh!). He handles new products very roughly. Just make sure you ground yourself (touch the power supply or unpainted metal) before touching processors and other things as this can cause them damage. You really can't break anything unless you do it on purpose or force it. Just tell her she can watch if she wants.

-Ryu Hitokiri

PC eye

banned
Between improper handling of memory and cpus as well as not applying the correct grade thermal compound or enough you can easily damage hardwares. You wouldn't want to plug a dimm into an electrical outlet while trying to ground yourself. zzzzztt...:eek: :p And you certainly don't want to try "cooking eggs" or cpus on a new build. You would be the one smoking there. :mad: :mad: :mad:

The first done here generally when preparing a case is to first mount the supply and pull the harness out of the way. With the supply secured inplace there's no way you can drop it on the board. CRUNCH! :eek: "new hole in board discovered! read all about it!" :( One easy method for installing the cpu is opening the small plastic container it comes in while resting your arm or arms on the side of the chassis right directly over the board. You simply note the mark on one corner of the casing and look for the match seen on the cpu socket. Turn it until it matches up and place it right down. Once it is down in you simply push the locking lever down.

kensc

Okay Im almost done I had to change some of the parts tho but still should work. I just need windows xp pro with media center. Can any one give me the newegg link please? zomg why do they cost like 400+$ ?

kensc

K this is the build I wanna get. Is it better than the other one?

Case - Thermaltake Tsunami Black ATX Mid-Tower w/ Clear Side
Power Supply - 550 Watt Ultra X2 Connect Power Supply
Case Lights - Double Blue Cold Cathode Chassis Light Kit
Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Processor
Motherboard - Depends on Processor/Memory/Video Card(s) Selected - Either Intel/ASUS Motherboard
DDR 2 Memory - 2GB Corsair XMS2 Dual Channel DDR2-800 (2x1GB)
Video Card(s) - 512MB ATI Radeon X1900XTX PCI Express
TV Tuner / FM Radio - ATI HDTV Wonder - No FM Radio
Sound Card - On-Board Integrated 7.1 Channel Sound
Hard Drive 1 - 74GB Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM SATA-150 Hard Drive
Hard Drive 2 - 250GB Maxtor 7,200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Optical Drive 1 - 16x LiteOn DVD±RW Double Layer Drive w/ LightScribe
Network Interface - Integrated Ethernet Network Adaptor
Operating System - Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition
Productivity Software - OpenOffice Suite - Free
Antivirus Software - AVG Antivirus Free Edition
Keyboard / Mouse - Logitech EX110 Cordless Keyboard & Mouse
Warranty - 3 Year FlawlessCare™ Parts & Labor Warranty
2600$

PC eye

banned
The only thing here I would make a change on is the supply itself. A good ole Antec True Power II or III 550wor Fortron model supply will do the trick there. Corsair is a top brand of gaming memory. And of course being an ATI fan always helps there! :D

kensc

Coolness! looks like im finally ready to order. thanks all for helping me and I saved lots of money.

Last edited:

apj101

VIP Member
Never forget that before you touch any component.... Ground yourself of something big and metal... like a radiator (Like this)
radiator.jpg

PC eye

banned
ZZZZZZZZ... aaaawww... aaawww ZZZZZZZzap! :eek: :eek: :eek: Have you ever walked across a carpeted floor and touched that door knob and... :eek: yikes! You have now entered the "ESD Zone"! where you won't know until.... "Hey why isn't this working? These are all brand new parts! :mad: aw crap I forgot the "Ground rules"!!! :( ".

Archangel

VIP Member
Never forget that before you touch any component.... Ground yourself of something big and metal... like a radiator (Like this)
radiator.jpg

awww.... how cute :D i think ill put that one as desktop :eek:.

Anyway... yes, i think you should be more than capable of building a pc yourself. just remember a few things,..
1. Always be discharged. ( so.. dont wear a woolen pullover or so when building a pc,.. a Tshirt is just fine :) also, dont walk too much on carpet )
2. Check everything, then check it again, and after that maybe another time ( and take like 5 -10 min pause between each check.. else your mind could make up things that arnt there,.. because you can get very nervous :) )
3. Never force anything in place.. if something is stuck, there is a reason why its stuck ;)
4. Be patient, and make sure you read the manual's, and have the manual's with you while building.
5. When in doubt, dont hesitate to ask, its better to annoy other people, than it is to blow pc hardware :D

PC eye

banned
You certainly don't want a pile of scrap out of the investment you just made for sure. The main thing when handling the cpu and memory is not to touch the pins on the cpu or contacts on the memory. Those are the two most sensitive components. Likewise the contacts on any expansion cards have to be treated the same way.

Generally when going to install a cpu you grab it by the very edge and make sure you line it up with the socket. The memory has a one way slot that goes down into the dimm slot with a matching tab facing upwards. That prevents installing the memory backwards. Having plenty of light and assembly space really does help along with the correct tools. And never let the cat jump up on it until completed! :p